Is it right to incubate in the winter?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by big daniel, Nov 6, 2010.

1. big daniel

big daniel New Egg

Nov 6, 2010
    I have spoke with many chicken people, but I need more information. Please feel free to give me an opinion. Is it healthy? How does it affect the chickens? When does everyone else incubate?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It depends on whether you have the set up to keep them warm. Garage, bathroom, some place to brood them.

I have some eggs in the incubator NOW. But I'll keep them in my garage under lights for as long as needed. I know it is certainly easier to brood chicks in the summer or late spring.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I do.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I do, too. It's certainly not "wrong."

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Like others have mentioned--If you have the space to brood them (I did it in the house once and will never do it again, still have nightmares about the dust/dander!) I think it's a great idea. Your chicks will be at POL in the Spring and you'll have eggs when others only have chicks. Another plus is that there is a great market for POL pullets in the Spring if you happen to have any extras.

6. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Agreed. We still have not gotten eggs from our chicks from summer. Got them too late, then the shorter days, etc...
    We have 16 eggs incubating now and I'm really, really excited to be having them so much older by the spring!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Presuming you're properly set up to brood the birds it's actually a good thing. February or March hatched birds will be in full lay when the previous year's birds are slowing down and getting ready to molt.

8. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I've pretty much been an addict over the years.I hatched out newbie's on Xmas last Year.I had brooder's set up in basement next to furnace and they all did great.I used to keep mine in house.The dust is a mess one point .I moved mine due to grandson who live's with Us full time so...I have about 2 dozen bantam due to hatch next couple of day's then shutting down.I already have a brooder of 4 duckling's and my other brooder of a few week old's growing Fast.I have the 2 last duckling's about 2 weeks old in with those too.I have a group of about 10 Grad's I put them some extra hay in thier little pen in a closed coop at night of course and so far have lost one silkie due to some weird wry neck that just happened all at once last week.You can hatch and raise them for sure winter.You just got to make sure they stay warm and dry.I have raised HUNDRED's of bird's year round.Hope you get some babie's.good Luck

9. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Eva and I have talked about hatching some chicks but have not tried it yet. When we do,we'll time it so they can go out to the coop at 6-8 weeks old. That eliminates winter hatching because we do not have a safe and warm place to use as a brooder. We raised the girls we have now in the utility room and 8 weeks is a bit much to have chicks in the house.

If you have a good safe and warm place to use as a brooder I say go for it!

Larry

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    It is fine, so long as you have a warm place for the babies. You'll need something inside a building. It'll need to be a warm building to help avoid the risk of cold drafts on the chicks. Basements, heated outbuildings, heated garages, etc. are common. If you just have a few birds and no indoor cats/dogs/rampaging young children, then you could keep them in the main part of the house, even, for a few days. A lot of people use a second bathroom and take care of chicks right in the bathtub. (Take the precaution of turning off the tub & shower water source, especially if you have children...)

When they are ready to move to their more grown up quarters then you will have to figure a way out to transition them so that they can adjust to colder temperatures. You don't want to take them from a 70 degree house straight to a 30 degree garage or a 10 degree coop. Even with a heat lamp or two this is just too much stress!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by