Is it safe for chickens to eat dog poop?

I found my chickens eating dog poop.. I'm just wondering if it is safe? I do make my dogs their own food, they have rice, potatoes, veggies, and the most natural turkey/chicken meat I could find. It's healthy enough to the point where when I switched the dog's meat, my chihuahua stopped having dandruff (even while I was giving her fish oil) and grew her hair back fully (I gave her a haircut in the summer time, it wouldn't grow back and grew back patchy). Is it also safe for them to eat goat poop? What if the goats have worms? Will they contract it along with my dogs who also enjoy snacking on their poop? lol

It likely will not hurt them, but Ewwwww! I would keep them from it if I could just because it's gross. There is something in it that they want or need. I would increase their protein level just a little and see if they stop. The goat pellets are less offensive, I guess because they are dry and pelleted.

Parasites are usually host specific (round worms are an exception) and will not transfer from one to the other.

Back
Top Bottom