Molting... not eating, rarely drinking...

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
I only have 3 girls and this is their first time molting. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what normal molting behavior is like.

The girls are miserable. They've been hanging out in the coop most of the day (I do suspect it's also possible they are doing this because of the time of year and seeing more hawks out and possibly other predators), but one of my girls especially I'm not even sure she's eating or drinking much. When I take her away from the coop by herself she will drink water from a dog bowl as if she's never drank before! I tried putting a dog bowl with water in the run to help. With food, I haven't seen her at the feeder - but I'm not out all the time so I can't be sure. When I throw scratch in, she's not been interested. Is this normal when they're molting?

I haven't been able to see what poop is hers, so I'm going to try to look for it later today when we bring her out of the run later. I don't see any other visible issues with her vent, feet, lice/mites, nothing. It seems the only thing I can tell is the molting.

I'm not even sure if my other girls are eating and drinking less also, they all seem so miserable, but she just is the most noticeable in not even going after scratch.

Any ideas?

Some can be miserable when molting. Generally they keep eating and drinking. Do you provide multiple feeders and waterers? Sometimes the lower ranking birds get bullied away from using them so it's best to provide multiple options so all can get some.

The stresses of fall can bring on illnesses. You could try giving her some vitamins to see if it helps. You also should be feeding a higher protein ration in the fall. Not sure if you are feeding a layer ration or not, but it's generally recommended to switch off of it when hens are molting to something with more protein.

Some can be miserable when molting. Generally they keep eating and drinking. Do you provide multiple feeders and waterers? Sometimes the lower ranking birds get bullied away from using them so it's best to provide multiple options so all can get some.

The stresses of fall can bring on illnesses. You could try giving her some vitamins to see if it helps. You also should be feeding a higher protein ration in the fall. Not sure if you are feeding a layer ration or not, but it's generally recommended to switch off of it when hens are molting to something with more protein.
She's usually the top girl and I haven't seen any bullying. There are multiple water and we have a Grandpa's feeder that allows all three of them to eat at one time if they wanted. I'll try vitamins, it's just tough because if she's not drinking much I'm not sure if she'll even get any.

I did just hear about the layer feed. I have just ordered a starter/grower feed that I'll switch them to in a few days. Unfortunately we only have 1 safe feed option in either layer or starter feed due to my children's anaphyalctic allergies. The starter/grower feed is 18% protein so I can supplement if they need more with things like sunflower seeds, scrambled eggs, meat...etc if needed.

Does this go on a long time? My one girl started weeks before the others and is still miserable, though she's still eating and drinking fine I think for the most part. This one girl I saw her poop and it's watery... but again I think it's because she's not eating much and will drink a lot of water from the bowl.

She's usually the top girl and I haven't seen any bullying. There are multiple water and we have a Grandpa's feeder that allows all three of them to eat at one time if they wanted. I'll try vitamins, it's just tough because if she's not drinking much I'm not sure if she'll even get any.

I did just hear about the layer feed. I have just ordered a starter/grower feed that I'll switch them to in a few days. Unfortunately we only have 1 safe feed option in either layer or starter feed due to my children's anaphyalctic allergies. The starter/grower feed is 18% protein so I can supplement if they need more with things like sunflower seeds, scrambled eggs, meat...etc if needed.

Does this go on a long time? My one girl started weeks before the others and is still miserable, though she's still eating and drinking fine I think for the most part. This one girl I saw her poop and it's watery... but again I think it's because she's not eating much and will drink a lot of water from the bowl.
Higher production hens often molt faster, but it still will take at least 4-6 weeks for it to fully be done. Lower production hens sometimes will molt for months. Providing the boost in protein will help them to grow feathers faster. I have fed a starter grower long term with great success. Watch the sunflower seeds as they are high in fats. Some are okay but overdoing them can cause problems. I learned that the hard way.

The scrambled eggs are a great addition. Chickens love them and they provide animal protein, and are chock full of vitamins and minerals.

Hopefully your hen is just having a hard molt. Just watch for any signs of respiratory illnesses. There are products out there like Vetrx that you could try if she continues to look off. Also feel her crop to see if that feels doughy or soft, and also feel her keel bone to see how she's doing weight wise.

Really, when molting, they look like they are dying. Scruffy, patchy, comb all shriveled up like an old woman with tufts of cotton sticking out of her hair. They walk gingerly, look like they have a bad case of the flu, don't really eat, just wait it out.

Then it is like they are reborn, beautiful feathers, the comb swells and gets bright red, looking like a girl headed out on her first day, a prance in her step and lipstick on.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom