Is it safe for ducklings to eat dandelion FLOWERS?!

TracyLovesDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Northern Colorado
Hi, I was wondering if it's safe for ducklings (6 weeks) to eat dandelion flowers? I know the leaves are good for them, but my father unlaw just threw a bunch of yellow dandelion flowers to my ducklings and they ate them. He didn't break them down into small pieces or anything... nope, just whole sized dandelion flowers with stems and all
somad.gif
. Now I'm very worried. Will this hurt them in any way, shape or form?

Mine love dandelions and also the forsythia flowers that are falling off the bushes right now they are eating.

That's good to know that they aren't toxic or anything. Now I just worry about the size of the flowers and they're so dense... being eaten whole seems like quite a lot to handle.

I just gave them more grit and made sure each had pooped at least once. Although, I didn't see the flowers come out yet! I'm expecting yellow.

Dandelions and their flowers are fine for ducks.....as long as they haven't been sprayed with anything. In fact, they are good for humans to eat as well-- tell your father in-law to quit throwing away perfectly good food. Both the leaves and the flowers are good in salads, scrambled eggs, etc. You can even make a tasty "soda" out of dandelion flowers (and of course, the famous dandelion wine)

Dandelions and their flowers are fine for ducks.....as long as they haven't been sprayed with anything. In fact, they are good for humans to eat as well-- tell your father in-law to quit throwing away perfectly good food. Both the leaves and the flowers are good in salads, scrambled eggs, etc. You can even make a tasty "soda" out of dandelion flowers (and of course, the famous dandelion wine)
When dandelions first start coming up here I pinch off some leaves and eat them while walking around. and I drink dandelion tea really good spring detoxifier.

You betcha it’s a great tonic! Dandelion leaves have loads of Vitamin C, and a higher Vitamin A content than carrots. It’s also a great source of boron, calcium and silicon. The flowers are one of the best sources of lecithin (helps boost memory and mental focus, and also good for the liver). The root has taraxacin, a hepatic stimulant, insulin, as sugar, lacvulin, choline (a basic constiutent of lecithin), phytosterols, (which prevent the body from accumulating cholesterol), and potash, (a diuretic).

I think this is a great approach!

Quote:
Nutritious!!! Now tell that to my father unlaw and neighbors, please! Ugh, never mind, I don't think it would make a difference... there's no reasoning with the "weed" police. Or is there?

We keep bees and they LOVE dandelions... as do most all other "wild" bees. We also have horehound growing like crazy which has health benefits too, yet our neighbors consider it a "weed" and want it to be eliminated. AND some kind of wild mustard that grows here too which they are anal about.

Britesea, I'm interested to find out how you know so much about the nutritional content of dandelions? Very cool!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom