Is it safe? (Indian Runners)

Well, so far (2 nights) they do seem to be going back in the coop.

Though last night they seemed to want to swim more than go inside. Not entirely sure what got them out of the pond so I could herd them in the coop.

I will say these things are the most skittish birds EVER.

And yet the most hilarious. They remind me of nothing more than the Finding Nemo "Mine Mine Mine" seagulls. They talk constantly and that's all they seem to say (though it sounds less assertive when the scovies and geese teach them what "mine" really means in this area)
I have 5 runners (over a year old) that were raised in the house with constant human contact, lots of treats, love, and handling. You would think after all that they would be some what tame and yet they too are skittish (more like freaked out completely), in fact I like to joke that they must see me as a YETI who loves to eat duck, they run like h*** when I get "too" close. I don't have much luck handling mine either, there is always lots of wing flappin' and squawking' which of coarse freaks me out like I'm hurting them!! I was hoping my kids could show them in 4H but they definitely have the upper hand on all of us so I don't think that's going to happen too soon. Hilarious for sure and lots of chitter chatter outta those runners, herding them is a lot like organized chaos. Hopefully yours will chill out a bit.

I have 2 Runners, last night the girl had herself a frog, that shed stolen from one of my other ducks. I watched her run around and play the mine mine mine game for a long time. It was pretty funny. Not for the frog tho.

Back
Top Bottom