Is it safe to eat bird that hawk killed???

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
OKAY EMERGENCY QUESTION REAL QUICK!!!

A hawk just got one of my 5 month old pullets 😭 but it flew off before it could eat her and I watched her do the after death flail and bleed out 😭 nothing I could do at that point. I feel awful because I was so focused on Max (one of my cockerels) making a racket under the bushes near her and didn’t even see the hawk or anything else around and wonder if I could have saved her since she was right behind me and it JUST happened 😭😭😭

I should have turned around but I did look and didn’t see anything.

ANYWAY.

The emergency question is.... can I process her and eat her or is it not safe because the hawk touched her ???

I would hate for her death to go to waste and I would have let the hawk eat since she was already dead by this point but it flew off. I think only her neck is wounded but idk.

I thought it was my old girl at first but it’s the chick 😭😭😭😭

No, I would strongly advise against it. You never know what the hawk killed before and what kind of germs might have transferred.

I am sorry for your loss. :hugs
Thank you! That’s what I figured but I wasn’t sure. I think it only touched her head/neck area though, hadn’t started eating her and her back feathers etc. are all still intact, so I thought initially I could just cut off her head and it might be okay but you are right that it’s probably still too risky. Also, I don’t think my mother would go for that anyway as she is very upset over it right now.

And thank you! :hugs

I feel awful and wonder if I had gone out faster or turned around sooner or whatever if I could have stopped it.

feel awful and wonder if I had gone out faster or turned around sooner or whatever if I could have stopped it.
These thoughts are quite common after this kind of incident. If only...

I think it only touched her head/neck area though, hadn’t started eating her and her back feathers etc. are all still intact, so I thought initially I could just cut off her head and it might be okay

Even the slightest scratch could have transferred rabies or similar. So, no no no!!!

I am so sorry about your chicken! Unfortunately, no. It is NEVER ok to eat a chicken that has been contaminated from a wild animal death. The risk of illness isn’t worth it.
Thank you! That’s what I figured but wasn’t sure. Just hate for her death to be for nothing :hit

These thoughts are quite common after this kind of incident. If only...
Thanks! That makes sense! I should have been watching them but I went inside for just a few minutes 😭😭 I guess it was a horrible idea to let them out before the storm too (we’re supposed to get a snowstorm tonight) but I wanted them to stretch their legs some since they’re gonna be locked inside for days. Guess that was a mistake cause everything is hungry and cold. 😭😭😭😭😭

Thanks! That makes sense! I should have been watching them but I went inside for just a few minutes 😭😭 I guess it was a horrible idea to let them out before the storm too (we’re supposed to get a snowstorm tonight) but I wanted them to stretch their legs some since they’re gonna be locked inside for days. Guess that was a mistake cause everything is hungry and cold. 😭😭😭😭😭
It could have happened any time. Don't beat yourself up.

It’s just awful because it’s one thing when the bird is already long dead when you find them or just goes missing or whatever but to see that hawk fly away from my baby and then watch her twitch and bleed out and take her last breaths.... it was awful. :hit

And the D*** hawk didn’t even fly away until I turned around either! I was right there talking to Max and the d*** thing was still gonna eat her with me there! 😤😭

Back
Top Bottom