is it safe to eat eggs from...............

we're dealing with the same thing here.

My puppy ( a 15 week old great pyrenees mix) was loaded with worms last week. Took him to the vet and got him taken care of. His favorite snack is chicken poop
sickbyc.gif
So we thought better be safe then sorry and wormed the chickens with wazine. I've read here that we need to toss the eggs for 2 weeks after worming. As for the 3 dozen that are in my fridge? My husband is eating them, tho I can't bring myself to. My vet told me not to worry about it. We've never seen worms in the chickens poop and worming them was precautionary.

One thing I have noticed is that worming advice is vague and not substantiated when it comes to chickens. The product I used to worm has been recommended here on this forum, but it says on the bottle that it isn't recommended on laying hens.
idunno.gif
If I was seeing worms in my chickens poop I wouldn't eat the eggs... I tend to err on the side of cautious. Good luck!

I would be really surprised if chicken worms could live in a dog and vice versa. And eggs from wormy chickens would be safe to eat. How a worm could get from the hen's intestine into her egg is beyond me.

I have read that the thing with the worm in the egg can only happen if the worm (i think this is what i remember and i apologize for not having the source) somehow makes its way to the place where the egg is formed and the egg is formed around it. I think it would have to kind of go out and then in, but i'm not a chicken anatomy expert. This is a very rare phenomenon. but it has happened.

good to know, this is what I was wondering. I do believe the only way they would get into the eggs is if they actually made their way up into the egg making area.
My chickens all got dewormed yesterday. Hopefully, they got enough of the stuff. I'm a first timer with the dewormer thing on chickens. As this is my first official flock.
They are all healthy and spry birds, so I knew the worm thing was a minor thing.
I can now relax once again.

thanks all.

I think anyone who raises birds that touch dirt & eat bugs, does not worm every one to two months, and eats the eggs- probably eats eggs from wormy chickens....
I am being a bit sarcastic here, and am NOT advocating for worming every month- but all yard chickens get worms, some have lots, some have few, most people deworm their flocks occasionally, and how many people have ever actually seen a worm in an egg??? I never have, though I have heard of it happening (very rarely).
Can a person be infected with the type of worms that chickens get? Really really unlikely- most worms are very host specific. Would it be gross to eat a chicken worm by accident? Yes, but would eating a worm harm you? probably not. Most worms are two host (or more) species- there are intermediate hosts. A round worm coming out of the chicken is not infective to another chicken. The round worm eggs come out, get in the soil, hatch out in beetles or other insects which get eaten by a chicken- and grow up in there. ect.
Anyway- I would avoid eating a worm if I saw it in an egg, and be really grossed out- but should you avoid eating eggs because some or all of your birds may have worms, no- because then you can almost never eat any of your chickens eggs! Because you are either in the withholding time due to some drug treatment, or you are wondering which week the chickens will get exposed again...

Quote:

I have had chickens for 10 years or so. I worm when I see them in their poo or they seem unthrifty. Thats been like 5 times. I'm pretty sure at any given time, someone has worms. I dont like to medicate unless I have to. My chickens look happy and are healthy. I think its pointless for them to be 100% worm free all the time. I would be worming non stop to try to achieve that. Eat the eggs you have. Wait 2 weeks after you worm.

thanks , I feel 100 X better about the situation, and you both make very good points!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone can really prevent all these things, as we definitely don't live in a sterile world!!!!!

Hi there. I was wondering what you used for worming your chickens. We just started wazine 17 yesterday and we are relictant to use it but it seems to be working. I'm not sure how long we use it though and what the withdrawal is from using this wormer...

I was wondering the same thing about what type of wormers to use. I have injectable ivermectin for cattle can a chicken injest this ? I use it on my dogs as a heart worm preventative and worms.

Back
Top Bottom