is it safe to eat eggs from...............

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
wormy chickens.?

I know I have one bird for sure with worms, haven't seen one in the poop in a while. Planning to deworm with Eprinex this weekend. I don't believe they are loaded with them, they are high energy birds, holding their weight and very healthy looking.
Is it safe to eat the eggs? I'm paranoid. I have googled it, and I get the answer of NO. you can't. Just want to double check.

I have 5 eggs in the fridge that hubby wants to cook up.

Quote:
I think if you ate eggs raw with wormy chickens you might have a problem, but I've never seen a news story of a person getting sick from eating eggs from a chicken with worms.
As I said, after meds are given I'd stay away for a while........ but before, I don't see a big issue.

it's wierd, as when you google the question. Nothing comes up to state this is true. How is it possible??

I bet there are plenty of folks who didn't know their chickens had worms and ate the eggs.

After worming would be a different story, with the toxins in their system.

no no no..... It is so hard to not eat them... but it is not safe. It is however safe to feed them to the flock instead of throwing them away.

I have wormed my girls a few days ago and I am planning on worming them again in 2 weeks as directed. So for me it will be 4 weeks without being able to eat the eggs. This is very difficult I know. I still gather the eggs and leave them on the countertop in kitchen, and every other day or so, I crack them all in a bowl, break the yolks and microwave them. This is the easiest way to cook them. You have to cook them for 2 minutes at a time and stir them off of the edge of the bowl.... It is important to let the eggs cool down before feeding them to the birds. They are HOT.

I know, that's the scary/funny part.
I have found the only answer when googling this is in regards to the meds you give for it, rather then the things themselves.
I would think the worm eggs would die inside an egg , in the fridge. if it was possible.

I would think it easier for this to happen if shell was cracked or thin....??

If you have not wormed the chickens yet, but you simply saw worms in poop ..... YES eat the dad gum eggs...... and gather tomorrows too.... then after you gather the eggs, worm the girls.... and wait 2 weeks and worm again... might as well be get them all....

haha, thanks. whew.
I'd never heard of this before, (heard the med rule of course)
I've chatted with some people who had chickens years ago, and hadn't heard of that back in the day either.

Back
Top Bottom