Is it safe to feed Chickens Raw Wheat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenman111, Feb 27, 2013.

1. chickenman111

chickenman111 Chillin' With My Peeps

We were considering growing our own wheat for the chickens and I wanted to know if you can feed chickens raw wheat or if you have to dry the wheat for them to eat it.

Thanks​

2. GreenMountainEric

GreenMountainEric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont
    Wheat works well for chickens. It will give you a pale yolk, compared to a corn diet...... However, it will not be any less nutritious.

If the Wheat is harvested at typical moisture levels (8-13% moisture), It will store easier. If it is higher in moisture, it will spoil quickly, and should be dried to leass then 13% moisture.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Any thing you can eat chickens can eat. You can eat wheat raw. Dried for storage its is a little hard on the teeth, so most wouldn't even think of it. If you grow it, there is a time between it being green and it is finished drying that you can eat it easily. I have often hand threshed and eaten it while I was contemplating what to do next in the garden. Got my nephews to try it, one of them liked it so much That every time he was here and it was about that time he'd go out to have some.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yes.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by