Is it safe to feed old pasta?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Almosta Farm, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Almosta Farm

Almosta Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Central NC
    This subject may have already beed discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I have several old boxes of whole grain pasta that have gotten bugs in them. The pasta has also gotten crumbly. Does anyone know if it would be safe to feed this to my chickens if it is cooked?

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I doubt it will do them much harm but it won't do them much good either as the bugs have probably depleted the nutrients from the pasta, personally I wouldn't waste time cooking it and would just chuck it.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I'd feed it to them, but it may not be very nutritious. However, it will give them something to do.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just scatter it in the run. Break it up if you can (hammer is good) Don't bother cooking it. The bugs will be a treat as well.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd give it to them. I doubt the bugs ate that much. Plus, bugs = meat group!

6. Almosta Farm

Almosta Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Central NC
    Thanks folks! Even if they don't like the pasta, they'll probably have fun picking out the bugs.

7. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Keep in mind that pasts swells when it cooks because it's taking in moisture. I know of someone who killed a bird by feeding it rice when they ran out of food. The rice swelled and killed the bird. It may not swell like rice but it could cause problems. If you cook it, they'll be more likely to eat it. Mine love leftover pasts.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This rumor continues to persist, but it's false. Birds in the wild eat rice straight from the fields, and the fields are not littered with the little corpses of dead birds with swollen bellies. It's not just the water that makes the grain expand, it's the heat from cooking. Body temp of a bird is nowhere near high enough to "cook" rice. Or pasta.

2 people like this.
  9. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    My aunt's parakeet that died as a result of her feeding it rice didn't think it was a rumor. Just saying. That was back in the 60's (before Ann Lander's column). I don't know personally and was just throwing it out there. If it's wrong info, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by