Is it safe to let chickens out when it's 20 degrees? Cut off temp??

wepaws4

Chirping
13 Years
Aug 31, 2009
I am fairly new to chickens and wondered how low the temp can be to let them outside. I live in Ohio and I think my girls have cabin fever!

Let them out! If they want to, they will. Do you have wild birds near you? They're out!
smile.png
The more exposure they get to the cold the hardier they will be.

It is currently 5 below here and my girls and boy are outside as I write this. They hate being cooped up.
smile.png
. They have plenty of fresh water and all the food they want and they are doing fine.

Last edited:
OK, I am being way to protective, they are so destructive to my flower beds but I love to see them out. I guess that is why a rake was invented. This spring my husband is going to build me a tractor coop. Can't wait for that.

Mine are all feeling slighted since I planted my garden. Unless I am right there to keep them out of the planted area, they stay in the coop and run.

Yep let em out... They will decide if its too cold out... Just make sure they can get back in on there own..ie.. pop door open....

YES let them out but be sure they have food and water and dry corn when eaten produces heat and leave the coop door open mine have been out on 9 degree snow days:)

I don't know if you are running heat in your coop but I have always read in here that you Don't run heat for adult chickens which is good news for me and my flock since there is no electricity in my little barn. Even though their feet get cold when they get outside, they prefer being out in freezing weather, snow, wind and rain! Their door is left propped open just enough for their bodies to get in and out and they do whatever they want, mostly it's outside scratching around.

Back
Top Bottom