Is it safe to let ducks and chickens free range in Northwest Arkansas?

Yes! I saw your signature and deleted my question. I am really interested because I'd like to free range again. Do you have a dog? Do roosters help? I don't have either.
I've got brown leghorns, Austrlalorp, S Sussex, Barred rock, and 2 bantams, a d'uccle and a Sebright. I am most concerned w the bantams but they feel they are part of the gang, if not in charge of, and would be really unhappy to be left behind.
We do have 3 dogs that are in same area as the birds 24/7. We had birds here before the dogs or fence. Those are the best defenses we have. Or at least those two things have had the greatest effect.
Our dogs do great. I don't really think they are flock protectors as much as property protectors. They dont care about the birds lives so much but they don't like strange animals coming into their area so it works out. We have 4' goat fence so the holes are 4"x4". Some birds can go through it and many can go over it. There's also predators that can get through, over or under it. Most just don't want to mess with getting past the fence just to then be in with the dogs.
I'll do anything else I can if its cheap enough and easy enough to do.
I'm in the sticks so shooting isn't an issue and I know a bit about trapping. Both of those work but only take care of some here and there.
Roosters. I like roosters and have many, many of them. I don't have experience with the roosters that will fight a predator and die for the flock. Most seem to watch out for predators and will alarm and even put up a good bluff. That can give the hens time to get away but when it comes down to it my roosters will run before a real confrontation. I believe roosters are motivated by sex. They will try to keep their hens around but they aren't going to give their life for a hen or two if there's plenty more around. If I didn't understand roosters or worried about dealing with one I wouldn't think it would be worth it but I don't have issues with roosters so I keep them around.

Free-ranging is a great thing it fertilizes your yard, lets the birds graze and forage, and allows some freedom for them. However, there is always a possibility you could loose some to wild animals. As long as they have a place to hide or can get into the coop when they need to it's fine. Having a dog helps too.

Back
Top Bottom