Is it safe to put Runner duck eggs under a very broody Chinese Goose??

bellah1

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Western Washington
I have a very broody Goose that has been sitting on her unfertilized eggs for about 4-5 days. I receive some Runner duck eggs in the mail today and I'm letting them rest til tomorrow. I was going to put them in my very full incubator but I thought maybe I should try to put at least 5 or so under her and swap them for her eggs that are not going to hatch. She won't break them right? No more than a runner duck broody would?

She may accidentally break them, I have Runners and their eggs aren't near as tough as my goose or my Muscovy eggs are.
That's what I was worried about. Her eggs are tough. The reason I was thinking it might be worth a shot is because she just sits on her unfertilized eggs for over 24 hrs barely getting off them and she's been so gentle with them. I wasn't going to put all of the eggs under her maybe 5 at the most. But now I'm not sure

I'd try it. Please let me know how it goes. I haven't had a broody goose in about 4 years she will be 9 end of this month ad just stopped laying 4 yrs ago. They still breed and she still goes into the coop and acts like she is going to lay but doesn't.

I'd try it. Please let me know how it goes. I haven't had a broody goose in about 4 years she will be 9 end of this month ad just stopped laying 4 yrs ago. They still breed and she still goes into the coop and acts like she is going to lay but doesn't.
I will let you know how it goes! I put 4 in her nest when she came out for food and a short swim last night. I left 2 of her big unfertilized eggs on each end of the 4 runner eggs for now. She settled right back in on top of them so we shall see what happens?! This is her first year broody since I got her last summer, I don't know her broody behaviors yet so I am going to check on it and keep an eye on them just to be safe.

:fl I hope it goes great. My gander was always papa goose to Muscovy ducklings here and him and Missy my goose had 2 goslings they raised and they were awesome parents.

I was so positive both of mine were girls even when one was trying to mate with the other. Then goose went broody about 3 weeks after laying her first egg and mavy ({maverick} I know it's so unoriginal but my husband had to name them that) is guarding and protective like a boy. Since I swapped gooses' eggs I know how many she's got and I'll see if mavy really is a maverick. Because goose won't lay while she's setting right???

Last edited:
Went out there earlier and she wouldn't even come off the eggs for the pool or fresh food. She is pretty in the zone🥳

Attachments

• 8645341661674939288.jpg
    8645341661674939288.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 4
  • null_1.jpg
    null_1.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom