Is it safe to switch from grower to laying feed

Quote:
I see ya posted while I was typin' my long winded post
big_smile.png

and "JMHO" is very appreciated!
wink.png

Unfortunately we were totally out of grower feed. We do treat the birds to worms. How often do ya offer protein type treats?

As for free range, we cant do that with 3 dogs who think chickens are fair game and other predators out here in Nomans Land.....we're up in northeast Nevada, close to Idaho, in the midst of sagebrush, rabbits and coyotes.
tongue.png

The chickens are kept in a coop/run for protection. We were tossin' around ideas on how we might expand their space to include a fenced in "backyard", with body guards
wink.png
, and try to save on the cost of feed.
We got the weeds to feed on 60 acres!!
gig.gif

Ok, trying to post again....just got booted off PC ...... To my understanding too much calcium is a concern in young chickens as they can have long term health problems if they eat a high calcium feed. They need a little more protein when younger as well. (My chicken nutrition knowledge in a nutshell
smile.png
). As they start laying more calcium is needed for egg shells. The hen will probably lay on a lower calcium intake but will have thinner eggshells and eventually problems as she depletes calcium she needs. At that age most of the fast growth is done and they can do with less protein. I switched all my girls from grower to layer when, actually a week before, my first chicken started laying. I don't have production breeds, these were GLWs and EE, then BR. My first GLW started laying and then it took I think 4 weeks for #2 to lay. But there was quite a difference all along in their comb and wattle development. I don't think that changing feed at the time delayed my other girls. I give BOSS as treat daily, a couple of times a week a little yogurt....that is their extra protein. Also bugs, during winter I occasionally feed some mealworms or crickets as treats. Mine get to forage for bugs and greens but when they don't get to do that I toss a handful of veggies and greens out. So far I have healthy, shiny feathered and very productive girls. Again....not the expert here, chickens know when their body is lacking calcium and if supplement is available to take what they need. Roos don't need extra calcium but I think most folks just feed the flock the same food except for young chicks and showbirds. Sorry about the long post, don't want to confuse you. For a couple of weeks either feed should not do damage to them, just keep calcium available as soon as possible for the girls that are laying. If you have some grower left, mix 50/50 and let them all share, that would probably be my choice if I had to make it for my girls..... It sounds like you are doing something right, first eggs at 15 weeks! I would worry too much at 14 weeks and probably close to POL. It would be more iffy if you had 8 or 10 week old chicks too. Again, JMHO....Good luck and hopefully more eggs soon!
smile.png

Feed Purina Flock Raiser and you don't have to worry about switching every. Lots of us feed from hatch until death. 20% protein. Chicks thrive on it. I feed many different birds--chickens, guineas, quail and soon ducks. No need to buy a bunch of different feeds. Give oyster shell free choice and you don't have to worry if the young pullets are getting too much calcium.

I give my chicks 1 bag of Purina Sunfresh Medicated Starter, with a dozen chicks this usually lasts 2 weeks tops. It's Flock Raiser from then on out.

fldiver97, I think yer "chicken nutrition knowledge" is worth tuckin' under my hat.
Thanks Heaps.
thumbsup.gif

CoyoteMagic, sounds like a feedin' routine that would fit my Keep It Simple Sistah philosophy
wink.png

This goofy rural town don't offer much selection on any product.....haven't seen Purina Flock Raiser at either feed store.

I think I'll relax about feedin' the hens now.
Thanks again!!

Last edited:
For what it's worth... we've got four GSLs... two just started laying on Tuesday... the other two haven't. I'm figuring I'll finish out the crumbles I have, then swap to layer after that... but, that's over 5g away... but since we're figuring on rehoming two of the GSLs and keeping the Bree and Beer (green AND brown eggs awesome) then we'll maybe keep on with the crumbles and have free choice calcium for those that need it until the BR/EEs start laying... they're quite a few weeks younger than the GSLs... so, there ya go.

Thanks again to everyone's post. flydiver, I appreciate how easily you explained things, especially for chicken challenged person like myself:lol:Just think I told DH any monkey could do this :lol:now I have many questions and mentally challenged, but really enjoy this adventure. Just don't want to lose any little lives any the process of learning. Boy am I glad Everyone @BYC is here.

There is the perfect way to do it and then there's the way that works best for your situation. Yes, it's best not to put them on layer till at least one has started laying, but I've added teenagers to the main flock on occasion and they began eating layer pellets a bit earlier than is optimal. They'll survive just fine if they are close to laying age, say 17 weeks old or older. An all purpose feed like Flock Raiser is also a good way to go. Some swear by giving their birds game bird grower from hatch till death and supplementing with calcium.

I just came in the house from switching my 17 wk. old pullets into the hen house with the older chickens that are eating laying pellets..until this morning they were eating starter/grower.

Back
Top Bottom