Is it safe to use Lime on my lawn with chickens in the yard?

boxwoman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
New Milford
hmm.png
I have 4 hens that free range during the day -- my husband decided to put lime down on the lawn yesterday -- so I kept my hens in their run. I am not sure it is safe for them. Any advise? I know that fertilizer is bad -- but is lime bad too? Help

Lime is Calcium Oxide (CaO). When it is exposed to water, it becomes hydrated lime or quicklime. It produces a lot of heat (that's why cement and concrete heat up after water is mixed in). The formula is CaO + H2O = Ca(OH)2 +heat energy. If a chicken were to consume lime, it would be subjected to a burning sensation in their throat. Remember, quicklime was used to hasten the decomposition of corpses years ago. I would not use it in the presence of chickens until after I had throughly watered it into the lawn, then it would probably be OK.

Quote:
Um, nobody is putting quicklime (CaO) on their lawns.

Lawn lime is usually ground (or pelleted) limestone, CaCO3, although in some cases people may use slaked aka hydrated lime Ca(OH)2. The former is 100% entirely harmless if eaten or walked on; the latter is not all *that* caustic but it'd be good to water it in before letting the chickens out (and wear a mask while applying it).

Pat

Back
Top Bottom