is it the weather?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chasing ducks, Jul 13, 2010.

1. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ok, I have very bad luck hatching eggs, my first batch in a little giant got the temp turned up too high by accident and cooked all the eggs, my next in a homemade incubator was going great till I was in the hospital having my daughter, I come home to find them all dead. So I bought a hova bator and am hand turning all my eggs. I had 5 buff orpington chicken eggs, 5 welsh harlequin duck eggs, 6 saxony duck eggs and 10 turkey eggs (I put them in at different times to all hatch at once). Out of all those eggs I have 1 welsh harlequin egg and 1 buff orpington egg that are still going with 9 days left. These were all shipped eggs, could it be because of how hot the weather has been during the shipping process? I ask because almost none developed and I doubt I ran into 3 bad sellers all at the same time. Temp is 99.5 and humidity is 35.
  2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Did you let the eggs settle after shipping? If it's very, very hot, doing this is both correct and potentially deadly. The eggs are supposed to settle in order to give the chalaza (the spiral 'tendons' holding the yolk suspended) a chance to unwind from the stress of travel and to allow the air cells to be in the correct place when you set them to incubate.... however, if you store them correctly (60ish degrees) for the correct amount of time (anywhere from 6 to 24 hours) and the heat during shipping was enough to start incubation.... the settling time can actually kill them.
  3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    All of my babies came by mail order eggs! I had a great hatch the first time. Then the next 3 sets all DOA. Finally the last 2 sets all hatched! I think its the PO! It really depends on how they are handled! I let all of mine set for 24 hours after arrival befor adding to the bator.

Good Luck and God Bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by