1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it time to open up the nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chemguy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hello! I've a small flock of BR and BO (4 each), and they're 14 weeks old. They've started developing wattles and combs, which seem to get redder every day. Whe I built their coop, I sealed off access to the nest boxes to prevent pooping, etc. It will be easy to 'unveil' the boxes. Given the signs I am seeing and the age of the chickens, is it time to start thinking about opening access? No squats or songs so far. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. cathyb68

cathyb68 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    I am new to chickens too. I would do it sooner rather than later. I wanted to build the nest boxes when we built the coop, my husband didn't. We just put their boxes in a few weeks ago and it kind of freaked them out. Better to do it now and let them get used to them. [​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My chickens have always had access to the egg boxes. They generally do not stay in there and when the time was getting closer I put in hay... but it still took 2 more months to lay. 14 weeks is still pretty early if you are sure of their age.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

14 weeks is likely a month early. Very, very few breeds lay before 19 weeks. The chances of learning a bad habit of sleeping in the boxes, with the attendant poop, is not too exciting to contemplate. Too soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by