Is it tinea?

machinv

Chirping
8 Years
9 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Help! How to treat this problem. Always see she is hiding in the corner and thought she is shy. But picked up her today and found she has lost lots weight. Then flap her feather found she has this big problem. Seems she is very pain when I touch her. Someone said it is tinea. Very smelly too.

Please advice what should I do to treat this. Thank you!
First time use this. How to add photos?

Here is the photo to show the problem

Attachments

• A0B1F4C9-1DE0-46D9-98C1-2A64DCFF6DA8.jpeg
    A0B1F4C9-1DE0-46D9-98C1-2A64DCFF6DA8.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2FFC39EA-1206-4379-A730-871773D1F2AD.png
    2FFC39EA-1206-4379-A730-871773D1F2AD.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
It looks like something else causing the dry flaky yellow skin. Tinea or ringworm, a fungus usually affects the comb, wattles, and face with white chaulky material. What type of bedding do you use, and what are you feeding? Is she molting? There is a skin form of Mareks disease that can affect chickens, but I cannot really say what is happening. Are you in the US?

I use wood shaving as bedding. She is only four month old. I feed her with grain mix. I am in Victoria Australia.

I would give her 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex or or another source riboflavin daily, just in case of a deficiency. You could try treating for a fungus with miconazole or clotrimazole, 2 common antifungal creams that are sold over the counter. And lastly, I would look for mite infection, and bathe her with a mild soap to get some of the yellow material off. Please let us know how this goes, since I have been reading a lot of older threads on BYC where no one seemed to pinpoint the cause.

Back
Top Bottom