Is it to cold for my chicks outside?

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
It is 73 degrees and a bit breezy today. It should keep getting warmer. I wanted to take my 4 week old chicks outside and let them play for the first time, but I am worried that it might be to chilly with the breeze. Would it be to cold for them? They have a lot of feathers now. Thanks!

You should be fine in the 70's. How warm are you keeping their brooder? I put my 4 week olds out, with a box for shelter and warmth, at 55 and they actually wanted to stay out all the way down to 48 degrees before asking to come back into the brooder. Just keep an eye on their behavior. It may take some time for them to get comfortable exploring, after that if they huddle in the box they may want to come back in...or they're just taking a nap after some vigorous exploring. Again, watch them, its the best indicator of what they need. Oh, and Have fun!

Quote:
Will do! We are going outdoors now! It should be fun.
big_smile.png
I'll post some pics later!

I took my 4 eek old babies out yesterday for their first time and it was 73 and a little breezy. They didnt seem cold at all and they had a great time. Just watch and make sure they don't start huddling up and looking chilly, they should be fine though.

Hope your little one's have fun!
big_smile.png

Thanks to all for the reassurance! They have been outside for about and hour and a half now and are having a ball!
lol.png
They have been so fun to watch! I will post some pics later. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom