Is it too cold for my 4 week old chickens?

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So my four week old chicks just spent the first night in the coop last night. They all did well but The next three nights are going to be in the 40s at night and in the 60s in the day. The outdoor coop is insulated and is hovering around 65° Inside. Is 40° to mid 40s too cold for them?

So my four week old chicks just spent the first night in the coop last night. They all did well but The next three nights are going to be in the 40s at night and in the 60s in the day. The outdoor coop is insulated and is hovering around 65° Inside. Is 40° to mid 40s too cold for them?
If they are fully feathered or close to it, they should be perfectly fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 15
I think they will be OK but just keep an eye on them. If they huddle and chirp loudly then they're cold. A lot of this will depend on if you've weaned them from heat yet also.

Also, I'm super jealous of your weather. It's been ver 100 here 🤦‍♀️

I think they will be OK but just keep an eye on them. If they huddle and chirp loudly then they're cold. A lot of this will depend on if you've weaned them from heat yet also.

Also, I'm super jealous of your weather. It's been ver 100 here 🤦‍♀️
I did wean them off the heat for about four days before I brought them out. There are 12 of them so if they get a little cold I think they can huddle for a little bit of warmth and not be too cold but I will keep an eye on them

I did wean them off the heat for about four days before I brought them out. There are 12 of them so if they get a little cold I think they can huddle for a little bit of warmth and not be too cold but I will keep an eye on them
They can huddle together but that can be dangerous. I would just check on them every so often

Back
Top Bottom