Is it too early to move chicks into ingested coop

Viking84

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
i live in South Georgia where current temps are high 80s during the day and mud 60s at night. The chicks are only 3 weeks old, but have outgrown the brooder I built for them. Is it too early to move them to the large coop and run that will be there permanent home? The brooder has heat at night, but the full time coop will not.

Do you have a preexisting flock that your adding them into? If so you need to look up integration techniques. Also are your chicks fully feathered? Once they have all their feathers in you can put them outside in their coop

They are not fully feathered yet. And the coop will have no additional heat source.
They should be fine, just keep an eye on them. I have similar temperatures here and moved the chicks out to their coop this weekend (ages range from about 3 to 6 weeks) with a temporary pen, our coop does have a heat lamp but they spend the whole day outside anyway so they don't seem to be cold.

The brooder has heat at night, but the full time coop will not.
Your temps are not too cold for them to be outside. I moved mine to the coop at 2 weeks with an extension cord for a heating pad. But they were still out in their run all day in 50-60 degree days. If it makes you feel better, you could discontinue heat in the brooder for a night or two and see how they do. How many chicks total? They will likely huddle together to keep warm at night anyway.

If it makes you feel better, you could discontinue heat in the brooder for a night or two and see how they do. How many chicks total? They will likely huddle together to keep warm at night anyway.
This^^^...
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.

Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.

Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.

Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

Back
Top Bottom