Is it too late in the season?

I have spent an enormous amount of time reading raising chicks in the colder months but can not find anything on socializing them to us humans. If they are raised in a outdoor coop how does one get them to be comfortable around us. I can understand if they are raised in the home they should get used to daily activities of everyone in the house but in the coop they will be left alone for most part of the day. Should I be concerned with this or am I a bit paranoid. I want my chickens to be friendly with me and my bride

Chickens will be your friends because you have what they want: food. they see you as a treat dispenser. And by treat, I don't just mean donuts and twinkies (AKA scratch and table scraps). To a chicken, anything edible is a treat, no matter what it is, including their daily ration of pellets. Your purpose is also to serve them: bring them fresh water, let them out in the morning, close the door behind them in the evening, and keep their habitat in good order. They will also come running when they see you carrying a shovel or rake. because that means you are going to be digging bugs and worms for them.

All of that being said, I also think it's important for you to realize that chickens are not like a dog or a cat. They are prey animals, and their behavior reflects that. It's far more common for almost all members of a flock to be fairly aloof. They will come running when you show up. But, IMO you can't expect them to all be lap chickens. If you want a super friendly bird, I strongly suggest that you check out Dominiques.

I have spent an enormous amount of time reading raising chicks in the colder months but can not find anything on socializing them to us humans. If they are raised in a outdoor coop how does one get them to be comfortable around us. I can understand if they are raised in the home they should get used to daily activities of everyone in the house but in the coop they will be left alone for most part of the day. Should I be concerned with this or am I a bit paranoid. I want my chickens to be friendly with me and my bride

I think you bring up a good point and is one of the reasons why “What are your goals? Why do you want chickens?” are some of my standard questions. Not everyone wants chickens to be pets that perch on their shoulders or sit in their laps to be petted. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by socialization, you may not go that far either. We are all unique.

It is easier to play with your chickens if they are in the house with you. It’s easier to play with you chickens if they are in an attached garage instead of in the coop. That doesn’t mean you can’t spend time with them and play with them if they are in a coop. People do, but it’s less convenient. Part of it is how much you want to.

At some point most people move their chickens out of their house if they brood in the house. Not everyone does that, you can find people on here that have house chickens. Some use diapers, but some say they don’t. We are all unique.

Socializing chickens is not getting them used to your daily activities, it’s getting them used to your presence and making them pets to various degrees. Assuming you do move them outside they are not going to be your constant companions, you probably have other things to do other than stay outside with your chickens all day. I don’t see getting them used to your daily activities in the house as part of socializing if they are going to go outside.

I don’t do it myself, my chickens are not pets that I cuddle. But reading posts on here plenty of people socialize chicks raised outside in a brooder, raised outside by a broody (that’s more difficult, a broody teaches them to be suspicious), or chickens that are older when they get them to start with. One method I’ve read about several times is take a chair and something to read to the coop and run, and just sit there reading. That gets them used to your presence. Feeding them treats really helps. Don’t chase them or grab them, be patient and let them come to you. That method works on most animals. I’m sure others use different methods.

It’s easier to start that socialization process if you brood them in the house because it’s more convenient for you. But that is just the start, you have to continue the process when they go outside. How much effort do you want to put into it? What results do you want? I agree with LG, some individuals are going to be friendlier than others, no matter what you do. Each chicken has its own personality.

You might want to check out this article written by @azygous I had been raising chicks outdoors for a while before she did this article, but what I want from chicks and chickens is a little different. She does a much better job of socializing outdoor brooder chicks to her than I do, simply because I don't really want lap chickens. Having a little disabled granddaughter who spends time outdoors in her wheelchair, I don't want chickens that might fly up to her lap and accidentally hurt her, and I definitely don't want her to be startled or scared. So I'm quite happy with ground dwellers.

About halfway down are some really cool photos of her with her chicks. Not all of us have as much space as she does, but we can all find ways to adapt.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...rooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors

Thank you all, That is great advise.
Ridgerunner, one of the main goals is exactly how you put it " it’s getting them used to your presence and making them pets to various degrees" . I am not necessarily wanting to make them lap chickens but want them to be OK with me and mine. And then the is the question of "why do I want chickens, well I have been thinking and reading a lot about them for about a year now. Very interesting bird. I love the descendants of T-Rex thing". I am going to give it a try and I do believe that this is going to be quite the adventure.

Blooie, I do have young grandchildren, 1,3, and 6 years so I also do want them jumping up on them for the same reasons as you. I did read the article and she makes it sound so simple and easy.
tongue.png

Lazy Gardener, You make a great point about being a treat dispenser. That makes perfect sense. I am not going to show my bride your post because with her sense of humor and wit she will start calling me" Pez"
wink.png

Again, Thanks for the replys

Thank you all, That is great advise.
Ridgerunner, one of the main goals is exactly how you put it " it’s getting them used to your presence and making them pets to various degrees" . I am not necessarily wanting to make them lap chickens but want them to be OK with me and mine. And then the is the question of "why do I want chickens, well I have been thinking and reading a lot about them for about a year now. Very interesting bird. I love the descendants of T-Rex thing". I am going to give it a try and I do believe that this is going to be quite the adventure.

Blooie, I do have young grandchildren, 1,3, and 6 years so I also do want them jumping up on them for the same reasons as you. I did read the article and she makes it sound so simple and easy.
tongue.png

Lazy Gardener, You make a great point about being a treat dispenser. That makes perfect sense. I am not going to show my bride your post because with her sense of humor and wit she will start calling me" Pez"
wink.png

Again, Thanks for the replys
Perhaps if you dispense treats to your bride, you will realize greater return of benefit to yourself!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Hi torretornado, welcome to BYC and your very own path to chicken keeping! I am completely new to chickens (June) and live in MA as well. I can sense your excitement and already know you will do great..... you are in the right place for advice and i can tell you are taking it all in.

Just to add my (new) experience: We purchased 5 one-day-old chicks and with one being a rooster, ended with 4 girls. Our goal was to have a cold-hearty breed for egg production. We decided on NH Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Light Brahma and an EE for the colored egg. We are very happy with the choices since 3 out of 4 are laying now. (18-21 weeks)

Each stage I go through with the chickens is new and wonderful and stressful because i want to do my best for them. Getting ready for winter is hard but only because i havent done it yet and basically dont know what i dont know. Its not rocket science, but why reinvent the wheel. Thats why i am here reading..... I like to read Ridgerunners posts (Hi Ridgerunner!) because of where he is from and I seem to agree with his basic philosophy.

I am sure raising chicks in the winter can be done by a beginner armed with the collective knowledge of the generous people here at BYC's..... personally, im glad i had time to get acclimated to raising chickens, time to enjoy the process and good weather for trial and error.

Please keep us posted on what you decide!

@torretornado welcome!

I would read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

@Blooie is an excellent mentor when it comes to all things chicks.

I have a heavy duty extension cord running out to he coop. It splits inside the covered run and runs the lights and cameras in the big coop, and I can set up the mama heating pad inside the tiny coop. I wll be putting 5 chicks out there next week. I have used the heating pad cave twice in the last 4 months. All the chicks have loved it. They can scoot under it when necessary, and even like sitting on top. Keep in mind, that the chicks need to have their backs touching the heating pad - like they would be cuddled agains the hen. It isn't that the heat is radiating down to fill the space.

Good luck!

IMHO chickens can behave like pets if you spend that type of time with them. My flock has grown to 19. 17 hens and 2 roos. The original girls (6) are very tame, and the rest are fairly tame. It depends on the amount of time that I have been able to spend with them. Post foot surgery, 1 year ago, I spend my afternoons in a wheel chair with my Bielefelder hens and the silver lace wyandottes vying for a spot on my lap. Bielefelders are large and gentle. They don't tolerate heat well, but cold is not a problem. They are an autosexing chicken, which is a nice trait

The photo was taken in October 2015. All 4 hens are the same age - 4 months.

There is nothing so fun as getting little chicks and raising them yourself. Watching them change everyday, getting their first feathers, trying to keep them in the brooder when their ready to jump out, taking them out for little walks so they can explore, getting them use to people so they will be friendly, introducing them to their big house. If you get older birds you will miss that excitement. Yes you will have to wait longer for that first egg, but it will be a very exciting wait, I promise. That detached garage sounds perfect. When I said use heat I didn't mean heat the whole area, just a warm spot for them to get under like the heat lamp or heating pad. You need a cool area for them also for food and water. You will not regret getting the chicks I promise.

Back
Top Bottom