Is it too late in the year to get new chicks?

I ordered mine (25 pullets) from Meyer for July 30th delivery. It's been really hot in NH - although it's not now, it's rainy and cool and the weather is not promising for the next several days at least. When they arrived on the 30th, it was pretty warm and often humid, and we were shocked to count 42 chicks! They were all alive and peeping. They are all still alive and peeping, and now trying to fly the coop! (or brooder).

Long story short: I wouldn't hesitate to order new chicks at most any time of year, providing the shipping method is quick and they are packed in their shipping boxes appropriately...and you have a cooperative local post office. People buy baby chicks all year long in all climates. At least, that's what I've been discovering in my research. We're new to this so we've looked into it a lot.

Good luck to you!

I've read something about having to give the chicks artificial daylight so that they have lengthening days to grow in (like it would be if they were hatched in the spring) instead of the natural day length this time of year which is shortening... to make sure that they grow correctly and don't start laying too soon... Has anyone else read this? (I read it in Storey's Guide)

I read the same thing in Storey' Guide, KellyGwen. I also read somewhere that eggs laid this late are not always optimal for raising chicks. The days are getting shorter, so the laying schedule may be thrown off. Also, they will be coming up on moult about the time they start laying, according to Storey' Guide. I don't want to take a chance with all this, so I won't raise chicks this late in the summer.

I'm one that likes variety. Many of the hatcheries don't offer much in the way of variety at this late date.

If you are looking for the old standby's like rocks or reds, you'll probably find them.

Last edited:
We went to local feed store and they had some. we got 8 chicks. Yes they are the old standbys:

2 Americuanas
2 Black sex links
2 Barred Rocks
2 Gold sex links

Its our first chicks and we are stoked. Very cool.

I was wondering the same thing. I went ahead and picked up a few more chicks from the feed store on Monday. From the info I've come across, pullets might take a little longer to start laying- like next spring. But I don't know if they'll need a heat lamp this winter. Any additional care summer chicks will need?

Quote:
Interesting. I hope this isn't the case for my chicks:(
As for the heat issue, I ordered from cackle the end of July and the chicks had to fly into Phoenix Az (which is VERY HOT) en route to my home town, and they were just fne.

Last edited:
Anny, you can set up a timer light, and put a 100 or 75 watt bulb, and have it come on about 1:00 a.m to 3:00 a.m. when its really cold.
i did that the first year i had my girls and it did great, plus they stay close to each, and if you hen house is well insulated, you should have no problems.

I will have to do the same this year, since were starting out fresh. i have girls that are 6 weeks now.

and I just order more meat birds and eggs girls,. I got them from Welp, being shipped on the 27th they have free shipping, but with the weather, if its hot down there, I will call and see if i can pay for Priority shipping so they can get here faster.

Back
Top Bottom