Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by awalters0815, Apr 20, 2012.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    One of my hens has been broody for about 6 days now. I just got ahold of some fertile eggs. Can I still place them under her, or is too late?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They are living animals so no one can guarantee you what will happen in your specific case, but practically all broodies will stay on a nest long enough to hatch turkey eggs which take 4 weeks Most will stay a lot longer than 4 weeks. Many of us wait a week or more to start eggs under a broody just to be sure she is serious about being broody and to gather the eggs.

I woud not have any worries about giving her eggs at this time. I can't give any guarantees, but I very much doubt you will have any problems with her leaving the nest. As far as I'm concerned, she has proven that she really wants to be a Mama and deserves some eggs.

I don't know how to be more positive. Give her the eggs. She'll be fine.

3. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    My broody set on plastic easter eggs for 2 weeks before she got some real ones! She's hatching some as I type![​IMG] No, its not too late. As long as you think she's serious, she'll set!

4. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Cool. I just put 6 cochin eggs and one duck egg under her. I'll keepy ou updated. this is my first hatch.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not good. The chicken eggs will hatch long before the duck egg. The hen will take the chicks off the nest to find food and water and abandon the duck egg. It will never hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by