Is it true some predators can break through chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken 86, Aug 16, 2011.

1. chicken 86

chicken 86 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Also can some can grab a chicken through goat wire?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yes.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chicken wire can be easily chewed through by even a slightly motivated predator. And yes, anything with holes big enough to accomodate a raccons paw or snout will allow him, or other predators, to do just exactly that.

Edited to add: If critters can reach through the wire they are going to grab any chicken that gets close enough and shred it into pieces that will fit through the wire. Not a pleasant ending for the chicken.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yesd and yes goat wire is not a good deterent for predators.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Absolutely. Any mammalian predators can chew/rip through chicken wire. Coons, fox and even hawks and owls will reach in through larger mesh wire, grab your birds, and pull them through the wire a piece at a time. Solid pens are a must to guarantee long term safety of your birds.

6. chicken 86

Aug 16, 2011
    Can you put the first few feet up a finer (and stronger) mesh and the rest chicken wire then?

7. chicken 86

Aug 16, 2011
    Would a squirrel chew through chicken wire?

8. Vivienne

Vivienne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Have you considered hardware cloth? It isn't cloth, but a welded wire mesh with squares about 1/2 inch. It's sturdier and more durable.

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

chicken wire is nothing more than dental floss for some predators

10. msulaimain

msulaimain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have two roosters, one is a Dominique and one is a Leghorn. They've been kept together since chicks and I keep them inside a room that I have connected to my garage. A solid wood and four surrounding walls made of wood protect them. I've had a bad experience with chicken wire. Dumb hawks and crows. You gotta watch out for them and owls. I'm lucky that there isn't an owl in my neighberhood, but there was one in my friends and he would watch it every night just sitting on a branch. What I also suggest is to create a solid foundation out of pallets on the grass. And then build your pallet chicken coop like I did on top of that foundation of pallets. Cheap and effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by