Is it true that a lower temp makes more girls?

To make it easier, yes or no.

• Yes, so works for me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, FAKE!

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

xIndigoSkyx

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
St.Albert, Alberta
I heard that that lower temps affect ducks, but I was getting lots oflittle boys last year so I lowered the temp and I got ALL GIRLS!!! Does it work? I've gotten mixed answers, can you tell me truth?

Last edited:
Temperature does not effect what sex a duckling will hatch. Just like humans the gender is decided genetically. What can happen is that with a change in the temperature more girls survive than boys- or vice versa. For example- Start with 20 eggs - a 10/ 10 split of sexes is reasonable- but doesnt usually happen in such small hatches. Change the temp and you may get 12 to hatch with a much greater proportion one sex.

Temperature does not effect what sex a duckling will hatch. Just like humans the gender is decided genetically. What can happen is that with a change in the temperature more girls survive than boys- or vice versa. For example- Start with 20 eggs - a 10/ 10 split of sexes is reasonable- but doesnt usually happen in such small hatches. Change the temp and you may get 12 to hatch with a much greater proportion one sex.

Is sex always determined in every species through genetics? Because I have definitely heard that most reptiles' sexes are determined by temperature.

X2
Basically, the temperature never decides the sex; rather, it favours one sex or the other. Higher temp: boys will all survive, most girls won't. Lower temp: Girls will all survive, most boys won't. Something like that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom