Is it true that pointy eggs are most likely a rooster?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Donnigan, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I read that round eggs are 80% of the time hens and pointy eggs are 80% roosters! Is this true?

2. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

No,Roosters can not lay eggs

3. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

Im sorry i should have made myself clear! I meant that if the egg is round is the chick more likely to be a hen? I read that someone put 24 pointy eggs in the incubater, 20 hatched and 19 turned out to be roosters!

4. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

LOL!im so sorry!ha!im not sure,I've never hatched before!sorry!

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If that were true hatcheries would not waste all that incubator space on eggs that would most likely be male. Think about it.

6. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

LOL! A guy at my church told me roosters lay eggs! He said they lay one egg and then they turn into a rooster! He has likely never seen a chicken in his life! He said he heard it on the Internet! LOL! We told him that roosters dont lay eggs because they don't have the parts to lay eggs! He didn't believe us! LOL

1 person likes this.
  7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    No, pointy eggs are only that- pointy eggs. The shape of the egg does not determine the sex of the chick.

8. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US

HAHAHAHA Non chicken people have no idea what they're talking about. I was once holding a hen and some people who were at my house said "Oh! Is that a chicken or a rooster?" It was an awkward silence for a moment and I said "Eh... Chicken is the species and rooster is a gender. The two genders are a hen which is a female and a rooster which is a male. Now if it's a baby, it's called a chick. If it's just young, the females are called pullets and the males are called cockerels."

They kinda stared at me with a forced grin. Then walked away [​IMG]

9. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

LOL! What's funny is people who don't know anything about chickens will tell you all about them! When i was a little girl and we had just got chickens someone was telling us about how to take care of them and what to feed them! Her husband said ' umm have you ever even seen a chicken?' She said, i think i saw some at a zoo once! LOL! My grandma looked out the window and saw my brown leghorn hen had got out of the coop and asked me if that red rooster was supposed to be out! I quickly corrected her that that chicken was brown, not red and it was a hen not a rooster! Haha! Non chicken people!

10. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I don't think so. I have hens that lay a rather round egg (my EE), and hens that lay longish eggs. Logic asks me what difference would the shape of the egg make?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by