Is it true that poultry lice can only live for 1 week in a vacant coop?

Cimmaron

Songster
5 Years
Jul 19, 2018
Montana
Is it true that poultry lice can only live for 1 week in a vacant coop? I have a large flock and have been dealing with poultry lice constantly for several years. I have tried all the organic and chemical treatments repeatedly and can't seem to eliminate them. I am considering getting rid of my entire flock and starting over with new chicks.

Getting rid of chickens with lice isn't a good idea. I would solve the problem, as you may just be bringing new chicks in to become infested.

Do you have a rodent problem perhaps bringing them in? If you've had lice for years, there is a source right there you need to eliminate.

What we use is food-grade diatomaceous earth about twice a month. Sprinkle, not throw around your coop and nest boxes when the chickens aren't in there. Our chickens free-range under wild bird feeders with the wild birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc., all who probably have lice. Our chickens have never had lice or mites. This won't kill the rodents if that's what's bringing them into your coop though.

Is it true that poultry lice can only live for 1 week in a vacant coop? I have a large flock and have been dealing with poultry lice constantly for several years. I have tried all the organic and chemical treatments repeatedly and can't seem to eliminate them. I am considering getting rid of my entire flock and starting over with new chicks.
That is true. Poultry lice can only survive one week without a host.
You can initially spray 50/50 bleachwater solution in the coop to kill any and all types of bugs. The bleachwater will get in every crack and crevice where lice can hide.
Once it dries, (a fan will help it dry quicker) spray Permethrin liquid concentrate inside the coop. It has a 28 day residual effect.

You'll have to make sure none of your birds are carrying lice, nor their eggs attached to feather shafts to re-infest the coops. Especially inspect their vent area for lice eggs. Coconut oil will remove them.
You can spray birds with Permethrin or dip them if you wish. Follow the instructions on the attached label.

Getting rid of chickens with lice isn't a good idea. I would solve the problem, as you may just be bringing new chicks in to become infested.

Do you have a rodent problem perhaps bringing them in? If you've had lice for years, there is a source right there you need to eliminate.

What we use is food-grade diatomaceous earth about twice a month. Sprinkle, not throw around your coop and nest boxes when the chickens aren't in there. Our chickens free-range under wild bird feeders with the wild birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc., all who probably have lice. Our chickens have never had lice or mites. This won't kill the rodents if that's what's bringing them into your coop though.
I do have mice but very rarely see them in the chicken coop. The chickens usually catch them if they venture near. I have used DE since I first got chickens 12 years ago, both as a preventative in the coop, and dusted on the birds when I started having problems. I think it was helpful as a preventative, but it won't eliminate a louse problem once you have one.

That is true. Poultry lice can only survive one week without a host.
You can initially spray 50/50 bleachwater solution in the coop to kill any and all types of bugs. The bleachwater will get in every crack and crevice where lice can hide.
Once it dries, (a fan will help it dry quicker) spray Permethrin liquid concentrate inside the coop. It has a 28 day residual effect.

You'll have to make sure none of your birds are carrying lice, nor their eggs attached to feather shafts to re-infest the coops. Especially inspect their vent area for lice eggs. Coconut oil will remove them.
You can spray birds with Permethrin or dip them if you wish. Follow the instructions on the attached label.
I've had no luck getting rid of the lice on the birds, so am looking at hatching out some new chicks and eliminating the entire flock of adult birds, leaving the coop vacant for a while before I put the new ones in. Over the past few years I've used Permithrin, Adams Flea and Tick, DE, neem oil, garlic and essential oils, each for 3-10 weeks in a row to no avail. For the liquid treatments I was using a weed sprayer so I could really cover each chicken and spray up between feathers.

Update on my lice situation:

I hatched new chicks and put them in housing that never held adult birds. I got rid of the old birds, cleaned out the coop and sprayed it with organic spray, then a dusting of DE.

The coop sat vacant for a whole month before I added the new birds. I have not seen any rodents or wild birds in the chicken coop. Now, a few months later, all my new birds have poultry lice, and lots of them!

So either the 1 week without a host is incorrect, or they are coming in some other way...

I will go ahead and start treating them organically, and then may try getting new chicks again, but giving it six months this time like you would for mites.

Back
Top Bottom