Is it true that when a chicken lays an egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebecca10782, Feb 2, 2009.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    it is softer and hardens completely within 30 seconds or so? Someone told my mom this.

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I think she might have that confused with cast material...hardens as it dries? I'm just kidding, seriously though, I would say no, that isn't true.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    No, when it comes out the ductwork [​IMG] it is wet but thats the bloom coating and it dries quickly over the outside of the egg. Keeps bacteria from entering.

Sometimes hens do lay soft shelled eggs but they stay soft!

4. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    I was 99% sure of that. I have no idea who this guy even was.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds like that guy needs to join BYC and get an official BYC education, LOL.

6. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    I just happened to be in the coop a couple of days ago when a egg was "delivered." It was wet and already hard. I was an egg witness,so to speak. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I have actually had an egg laid into my hand. Hen was acting broody so I went to move her had been in the nest for over an hour well picked her up and plop No they are not soft just wet.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. The eggs are hard and wet with the bloom and dry very quickly. Sometimes pullets that have just started laying may lay some soft shelled eggs.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I've seen many of my hens lay eggs and they are always hard shelled right from the start. And if by chance they DO lay a soft shelled it it will always be a soft shelled egg no hardening going on there. Those ones I cook up and feed back to them. I have only gotten three so far so it's not often they lay them. And it's usually the new layers that do lay them from what I have heard. Now that my hens are older I never see the soft shelled ones anymore.

10. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Quote:Sounds like that guy needs to join BYC and get an official BYC education, LOL.

I know right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by