Is it True????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4roosandahen, Mar 27, 2008.

1. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I read somewhere that the hen determines the sex of the chicks..... is this true? If it is true does that mean she will have only pullets or roos or can it change per broody cycle?
    I hope this isn't to dumb of a question but, I never know what too believe on the internet. Thought this might be a fairly reliable group to ask though.
    Stephenie

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It is true, but I would think that she would tend to produce one sex over the other, but not necessarily all the time. BTW, I love your avatar. It's beautiful.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If so, Speckled Hen, does Velvet throw hens or roos?

4. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks speckledHen, it is our hen "Pecker" (kids named herl).

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, I know she throws both, but I don't have an actual count of the ratio. I don't recall whose baby my Delilah is, but I think she's Velvet's. And I know the Splash cockerel was Skye's, as was the splash cockerel that Jess in California hatched. Christina in Washington got a pullet from Velvet, I do know that. Seems like Skye throws more cockerels than Velvet does from the ones I remember, but I could be off.
    4roos, I recently lost a SLW hen named Lacy and that reminded me so much of her. I still have two others, but yours looked more like Lacy than them.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I thought it was determined by the chromosome match, similar to humans. Hmmm..I'll have to read up on that more.

Jody

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I've never it it being specifically identified that individual hens produce either male or female chicks.

Here is an interesting thing though .... humans can.

Following both World Wars there was a significant difference in the ratio of boy to girl babies. Something sophisticated and not well understood was going on, to do with the population as a whole recognising the need to replace the boys who had been killed.

8. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
  9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    from what i know that only works with turtles and a few other reptiles. Where the incubating temp determines the sex of the hatchling.

10. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    from what I understand about birds, the females determine the sex of the offspring. in humans, females are XX and males are XY. In birds, its the other way around (although I don't recall if they are represented by the same letters, but for simplicity's sake, its not important). I think its still probably around 50/50, but then again, you see some families where they have 5 boys, and no girls, so it could still work that way with birds.
    I'm not so good with the technical stuff, I researched this a year ago when my sister was breeding cockatiels, and I was looking into sex-linked genes. Its all pretty interesting still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by