Is it true..

gypsyfarm123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
south jersey
Hi all:) I was out fishing once (in bare feet) where there where a lot of geese..This older gentlemen came over and told me that "there is a parasite that can enter the bottom of your feet and give you worm's". I figured he was just pulling my leg and never gave it much thought,but this morning I was out fishing (dif pond, but there was a lot of geese in the area. So,I was getting ready to leave I seen an older couple feeding the geese and decided to ask them if they ever heard of this b4 and they said that 'it WAS true'!? Sooo...Is this true? If it's true,is it the same with chickens? And finally, If it IS true with chickens,can my dog or cats catch it through their feet/paw's? Thanks<<craig

They're called hook worms -- and YES dogs and cats can indeed get them. Much like fleas, they tend to specialize -- human hookworms prefer humans, dog hookworms prefer dogs, etc.

They're one of the species that an all-purpose wormer takes care of. Can't find anything on them specifically in chickens, but if you're worming for other intestinal worms, that should take care of them.

from Wikipedia:

See the image for the biological life cycle of the hookworms where it thrives in warm earth where temperatures are over 18°C. They exist primarily in sandy or loamy soil and cannot live in clay or muck. Rainfall averages must be more than 1000 mm (40 inches) a year. Only if these conditions exist can the eggs hatch. Infective larvae of Necator americanus can survive at higher temperatures, whereas those of Ancylostoma duodenale are better adapted to cooler climates. Generally, they live for only a few weeks at most under natural conditions, and die almost immediately on exposure to direct sunlight or desiccation.

Infection of the host is by the larvae, not the eggs. While A. duodenale can be ingested, the usual method of infection is through the skin; this is commonly caused by walking barefoot through areas contaminated with fecal matter. The larvae are able to penetrate the skin of the foot, and once inside the body, they migrate through the vascular system to the lungs, and from there up the trachea, and are swallowed. They then pass down the esophagus and enter the digestive system, finishing their journey in the intestine, where the larvae mature into adult worms

I think you can get something from rabbits too. Tularemia (sp?) Maybe? That's from the archives in my head, I didn't fact check, so don't swear by it

As far as I know hookworms only infect mammals. Just wanted to add some bizarre trivia - people with certain illnesses can elect to be "medically infested" with hookworms as a treatment!
sickbyc.gif

"Extensive research and clinical trials have demonstrated that the introduction of small doses of intestinal worms may be effective in the treatment of asthma, allergies, and some autoimmune conditions. Our company is dedicated to providing these therapies."
http://wormtherapy.com/index.html

Back
Top Bottom