Is it weird I can communicate to my chickens?🤔

Zoologist

Chirping
Jun 7, 2022
I’ve spent a year with my flock learning their behaviors and language and now it’s at a point where I can without hesitation mimic their calls from alerting them to danger, small calling back and forth with them while I clean, scolded them when their mean, crow like my rooster, and much more. Scientists say they have their own language with up to 30 sounds! My neighbors and family must really think I’m insane when I say I can speak chicken, but it seems to have made them except me as their own? I’m wondering if their are other people who do the same with their flock or am I the odd one out?

You are not alone. I don't consider that all that weird. When I think of weird I think of a lady that was posting on here on a Sunday morning several years back. She had a chicken sitting on her shoulder as she was typing on her computer and excused herself to go clean her hair.

I understand your attempts to communicate. As a husband of over 4 decades I understand it is my job to obey the silent voices in my wife's head. I have still not come close to perfecting that. I get in trouble all the time.

That's awesome you can do that! I love it!

I can't make all their sounds, but I can do tidbitting pretty good. The first time I did that my rooster about had a fit. He was looking for the other rooster trying to poach his hens and gave me the evil eye when he figured out it was me. I stopped tidbitting because I didn't want him to think I was going to take away his hens and get aggressive with me. But it's fine, they understand the English treat call I use for when I give them scratch. Even a hint of that and they come running. When I had the run divided for look-no-touch integration, I'd have to give both sides treats at the same time, or my older bunch would get very put out with me.

"We heard it! You did the treat call! Where the heck is OUR FOOD!!!???" accompanied by agitated wings and much brocking.

I’ve spent a year with my flock learning their behaviors and language and now it’s at a point where I can without hesitation mimic their calls from alerting them to danger, small calling back and forth with them while I clean, scolded them when their mean, crow like my rooster, and much more. Scientists say they have their own language with up to 30 sounds! My neighbors and family must really think I’m insane when I say I can speak chicken, but it seems to have made them except me as their own? I’m wondering if their are other people who do the same with their flock or am I the odd one out?
A lot of people here, me included, can speak this secret language of the chicken. Don’t let the government know it they’ll be after us. 🤫;)

I cannot speak chicken, although I believe I can understand a little of their language.
If they're in my yard, they need to learn my language.

If they're in my yard, they need to learn my language.
same-page-on-the-same-page.gif

Back
Top Bottom