Is it worms or just me?

blckbrnfamly

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Southeast, Arizona
My five chickens are doing just fine eating and digesting their food. They are happy perky birds, they look great their feathers are nice and shiney not falling out..... but thier combs are pale. They are about five months or so old, they were given to us so I'm not too sure on the age, but not laying yet. I read somewhere that sometimes chickens' combs are pale when they have worms, is that true? If so what do I do, if not I guess I just am concerned about my chickies!

Pale combs could be a number of things. Mites, lice, worms or any of the many chicken diseases out there. Check them all very closely to see if they have lice. Look at the base of the feather where it goes into the skin. Any creepy crawlies there? Sometimes it can look like crawling grains of rice. Check their breast, tummies, backs and especially around the vent. If the vents are dirty looking like someone sprinkled pepper on them you have mites or lice.

To check for mites wait until dark and check them with a flashlight while they are on the roost. Some mites only come out at night.

For worming information search this site for worms and go from there if you feel they need to be wormed.

Watch them to make sure they don't come down with other symptoms like sneezing, puffy eyes, runny noses, bloody poop etc.

Post every symptom here so people have as much information as possible to help you.

FORGET EVERYTHING I WROTE ABOVE. EVERYONE IS RIGHT. THEY ARE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE RED COMBS. I AM SO VERY SORRY. I'M HAVING A ROUGH DAY AND I HAVE A HEN WHO IS VERY SICK AND CAN'T FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER. AGAIN I APOLOGIZE. THANKS YOU FOR BEING SO KIND ABOUT CORRECTING ME.
sad.png

Last edited:
If their only "symptom" is pale combs and wattles, then i agree with acdoc; they simply haven't matured yet.

Of course, it's always good to check for lice and mites, and now might be a good time to worm them if you're going to, but i wouldn't say that the pink faces, etc., is a sign of illness at this point.

Have they ever been bright?

Well I gave each chicken the once over. There is nothing there!
I didn't know that their combs and wattles don't really turn red until they lay.. I'm very new to chickens in general. So I hope it's just paranoia !! I just want to keep my chicken healthy and pest free. What is 'bright'? Thanks Courtney

I was referring to their color when i asked if they were bright. If they had become bright red and then turned pale, i would be concerned. But if they have never had bright/red faces, then they're still maturing. During the next month, you will probably start noticing the change, and one or two of them might become mature a little faster than the others, and you will be able to tell because of the shades of red and probably the growth of their combs and wattles. Then, as they mature and start squatting a lot, you can start looking for your first eggs.

gig.gif
oh!! well they have been pale since we've had them. We've had then since they were a week or so old. I was just thought that they should be really red by now!! Shows how much I have to learn about chickens!
big_smile.png
Thanks so much!!

Quote:
I am worming for the first time ever, and i followed Speckledhen's example and used Ivermectin Paste orally. I believe it's a b.b. sized amount per full grown chicken. The paste is labeled for horses.

Back
Top Bottom