Is it worth buying shipped hatching eggs during winter?

Dec 2, 2020
I live in Montana and want to buy hatching eggs from Minnesota in the next few weeks (if they are actually available)

Is low temp going to impact hatch rate. I don’t know how priority mail is handled - temp controlled plane holds or is it going to be in below zero and freeze the eggs.

Should I be patient and buy chicks in the early spring?

I live in Montana and want to buy hatching eggs from Minnesota in the next few weeks (if they are actually available)

Is low temp going to impact hatch rate. I don’t know how priority mail is handled - temp controlled plane holds or is it going to be in below zero and freeze the eggs.

Should I be patient and buy chicks in the early spring?
Wait til spring, thats what i recommend anyway. Newborn chicks in winter might die, so i think your better off waiting til spring comes.

I guess depends on how they're shipping it, I would ask them directly before purchasing. I have no issues with raising chicks over winter just need extra measures and to be more careful especially with humidity during brooding.

Shouldn't affect hatch rate once they're in the incubator since you should be keeping your incubator reasonably warm anyway (I think a lot recommend 20-25°c room temp)

I guess depends on how they're shipping it, I would ask them directly before purchasing. I have no issues with raising chicks over winter just need extra measures and to be more careful especially with humidity during brooding.

Shouldn't affect hatch rate once they're in the incubator since you should be keeping your incubator reasonably warm anyway (I think a lot recommend 20-25°c room temp)

My issue with my first 2 hatches, with my own eggs, was incubating in a Poorly climate controlled space.

I am considering putting some light on some of the birds in January to jump start laying, but i don’t know how I feel about it

My issue with my first 2 hatches, with my own eggs, was incubating in a Poorly climate controlled space.

I am considering putting some light on some of the birds in January to jump start laying, but i don’t know how I feel about it
I've always supplemented lighting for my quail but they don't live to two years as I end up eating them after a full 12-18month laying cycle (quail lay pretty much everyday).

Not sure where in MN the eggs are shipping from, we live in northern Minnesota…here’s a screenshot of weather for the next 10 days. I think I’d take a hard pass on shipping eggs from here to Montana…

Attachments

• 6F2615FD-B6A0-4849-B946-90A6D98248F1.jpeg
    6F2615FD-B6A0-4849-B946-90A6D98248F1.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom