Is it worth getting free hens who aren't laying?

PruittFarm

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Burgaw N.C
I have been in contact with someone who I've gotten several of my hens from before they have a few hens that are not laying and are wanting just to rehome them for free I was wanting to add more to my flock but if they aren't laying is it worth it? Should I try and maybe they're just getting the nutrition they need or maybe they are stressed?

Or is this a situation where I should just not take on these extra chickens?

They can stop laying for a number of reasons. Age, nutrition, stress, being moved, worms, parasites etc. Any time you bring chickens into your flock you take chances of giving the rest of your birds a problem. Unless you have quarantine facilities set up, and want to spend the time and money figuring it out i would not bother. Plus your flock might not get along with the new birds.

Thank you all for your comments so far. I do have an isolation pen and would isolate them till I can figure out what was up..
My flock is a jumbled bunch of Misfits mostly everyone I have gotten I have gotten them because they did not get along with other people's flocks or because they had something wrong with them. Just trying to figure out if it's going to be worth my time :)

Thank you all again!

Back
Top Bottom