Chickens who aren't laying

First - there have been a lot of birds, I have picked a lot of breeds that at first I thought I would really like, and then, not so much.

So I too, like the idea of selling these girls. Then you can get some chicks. Keeps the flock fresh.

But many a time, I have found eggs, in what is almost plain sight, and yet hidden. Anytime, I have a drop in egg production, I start looking for a hidden nest. And sometimes, they are in what appears to be impossible places.

You can check their butts, to see if they are laying. With bright red combs, they should be. The color of red, is a good indication of a laying hen.

Mrs K

I agree about rehoming them if they aren't working in your flock regardless of laying status. I expect them not laying is a temporary thing as birds will sometimes take a break. It's as good a time as any to pick up some chicks of a breed you're curious about to see if they'll work out better :D

I have a couple barred rock hens who are a year old. They were laying before Christmas but now with the warmer weather and longer daylight hours, they aren't laying. Should I get rid of them or wait some more. Not sure if I want to keep them as they are also mean to the rest of the flock.
HURRAHHHH, one layed today. She must have thought I was going to give her away. Now will just have to wait for the second one to start. Thank you for all your help and advice!

First - there have been a lot of birds, I have picked a lot of breeds that at first I thought I would really like, and then, not so much.

So I too, like the idea of selling these girls. Then you can get some chicks. Keeps the flock fresh.

But many a time, I have found eggs, in what is almost plain sight, and yet hidden. Anytime, I have a drop in egg production, I start looking for a hidden nest. And sometimes, they are in what appears to be impossible places.

You can check their butts, to see if they are laying. With bright red combs, they should be. The color of red, is a good indication of a laying hen.

Mrs K
thank you for your help, one layed today!

I agree about rehoming them if they aren't working in your flock regardless of laying status. I expect them not laying is a temporary thing as birds will sometimes take a break. It's as good a time as any to pick up some chicks of a breed you're curious about to see if they'll work out better :D

Back
Top Bottom