1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it worth it money-wise?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I have been studying up on raising chickens almost non-stop for days.

I have read many of the threads concerning chicken-feed, how much the birds can eat, and how much the feeds cost.

I'm wondering if one can break even or do better money-wise with home chickens compared to the price of purchased eggs?

Large fresh eggs are $1.50 dozen, extra large store eggs are $1.99 dozen.

I can't really afford to go in the hole just to have three chickens in my backyard [​IMG]

I know home-grown are so much better for you, but money is a consideration around here.

Perhaps I could sell any extra eggs to neighbors/friends.

any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    peace

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I personally, have not done the math, but then I raise chickens for other reasons than just money. I enjoy them so they could be considered a hobby, and I feel better knowing where my eggs are coming from.

But looking at it just from a money viewpoint, you will have to have housing for them, bedding, take into consideration that they might need things like lice and mite treatments, etc. So my question is--Is it really about the money??

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have only had chickens for over a year & so far it is just for fun & a wonderful hobby.

I am "in the hole," though, money-wise so far, but I had not intended to make any with this....I just really love the chickens & watching their different ways! [​IMG]

I have noticed my feed bills goes down quite a bit when I let them free-range~~and those great fresh eggs can't be beat~~especially after learning the the FDA allows up to 60 day old "geriatric" eggs to be sold in the stores.

It's also been a fun adventure to share with my children as well. [​IMG]

Sorry so long winded....... [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    There have been several threads on BYC about the cost of raising chickens. The general consensus is that you do not save money by raising chickens. Even if you sell eggs you don't always break even. Most people raise chickens for the high quality meat and eggs, and for the fun of it.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, on the small scale, after making a coop, it is usually a hobby that costs money. I almost break even on feed with selling eggs, meat, chicks, and hens. However, now that I am out of the egg selling thing... I am keeping old birds and they don't lay much so cost per egg is sky rocketing. I don't even count supplies and housing. Do it for fun and health. Using recycled things helps keep costs down.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We researched chickens for 10 years before we got them. We got chickens anyway. [​IMG]

Whether we break even or make a profit isn't discussed at our house. We enjoy our flock and have a hard time thinking of life without them. You have to make that decision before you get the flock.

Before you decide to sell eggs to your neighbors, co-workers, family and friends, check to see what the regulations are in your state.

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    well, it's unfortunate, but how much it will cost to buy, house, feed and protect chickens must be one of our many considerations. This is one reason I am studying up so carefully -- don't want to go off half-cocked [​IMG]

I know people who aren't all that flush who raise chickens and sell the eggs, but I think they have more birds than I could have.

I REALLY want to have some chickens! Maybe having four instead of two will be the trick to selling some eggs and keeping that old out-go on a more even keel?

We probably eat 12 eggs a week on average. Some weeks 6 or so more because of egg-salad sandwiches.

I'll definitely need to set up a coop/run from recycled materials. We've remodeled this house (so very slooowly) over the last 10 years so I think there's enough lumber, and we have a lot of greenhouse parts. I think we can build the coop for nothing, and I plan to make a feeder from recycled materials.

Protective wire and a waterer I think will be the most expensive things we'll need. These are not things people generally get rid of often... but who knows? Just the right thing can appear when you need it.

The universe is generous [​IMG]

8. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

As most others mentioned, we are "in the hole" but didn't go into it trying to make money. We have 3 hens for eggs for our family of 5. It's definitely a hobby with benefits in our house!

Sounds like you are on the right track with recycled materials though! If you can build a coop with "free" stuff, then you are on your way.

[​IMG]

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I look at it this way....they are pets just like my cat is. But for all I spend on my cat, she doesn't lay eggs, eat up the bugs in the yard, fertilize usefully or entertain me as much as my ducks and chickens do.

The only thing she is good for is leaving cat hair all over the place and snuggling with me at night. [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Chickens are cheap.
    Feed is fairly cheap.

Building a coop & run can be anywhere on the scale from free to very pricy. It's all in how creative you are and how much you can scavenge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by