Is it worth it to keep Quail primary for egg production?

Maton1

Chirping
Feb 3, 2017
Hi. Asking because I'm just learning about Quail. Also looking into Chickens but I have a very small area for Fowl and I shy a bit away from Chickens because I don't want plans and things damaged.

It seems most people get Quail for meat production as well. I'm just not sure I'd be ready as a beginner to get into the habit
of having to kill/cull animals. I watched a YT video on how it's done and it looks pretty easy. Still, not sure if I'm ready for that!

So, is it worth it after all the care, feel etc...just to have Quail for their eggs. Thanks.

Quail eggs are about the size of a quarter, so it will take 3-4 eggs to equal one chicken egg of the same volume. However Quail eggs are better for you than chicken eggs.

Feed- If you just want the eggs and are looking at it financially for sales, it can be worth it if you can sell them, but for a personal basis, they will eat more than they are worth for an egg. For that reason many look to the larger benefits of quail, meat birds, hatching and selling the chicks, eggs, adults.

Some breeds will lay all year and others seasonal, but it is usually after they have reached the point that they no longer lay consistently, that they end up in the frying pan.

Just having them around can make it worth the feed as they are a joy to have, but like a dog or other pet, your application and intentions can only dictate to what degree they are worth keeping.

Back
Top Bottom