Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aidenbaby, May 2, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I've been having some crazy thoughts (or so my husband says) recently about raising a few chicks to point of lay and then selling them. Would this be profitable? I love raising the babies (well, except for the culling part) and, for me, it doesn't seem like too much work.

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I've had the same thoughts. I am concerned though about the 6 month commitment and the high price I would charge. I would charge at least $10.00 each and people have reacted to that with " Ten bucks for a chicken?! I can get one at walmart for five!"

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Raising them to the point of lay, I don't think you could get nearly enough money for them to make it worth the expense and labor.

I have sold lots of 6-weekers for $20 each, though. It still hardly seems worth it to me, other than the fact that they were just necessary surpluses acquired while building the homestead flock.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am raising some now to sell come winter.
    So many people are willing to pay a huge price in the winter for layers so I bought sex links and should have plenty to sell. Mine free range so I don't have as much involved and I feed whole grains. They don't waste much.
    Last winter I was getting $15 a hen easy. It always depends on market and demand.

5. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:I wonder what Walmart that would be? I've never seen chickens at Walmart, if I did I'd be in SOOOOO much trouble, i go there all the time. [​IMG]

**Forgot to mention my opinion. It's worth it if you want to do it. If you're only in it for the profit, it most likely won't add up. But if you're in it to have fun raising fat happy chickies to give to good homes, then it will be great.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

Um I guess but why not keep them and sell eggs 2.00 a dozen plus you would fall in love and then not wanna give them up lol

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It all depends on the market for them where you live. In some areas people are getting maybe $8 for laying hens, and in other places people are getting $12 to $15 for pullets.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a lot of work for a few dollars- your hourly wage would be miserly. If you sold eggs you could break even on feed and have protein from the layers.

9. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I'll tell you what, I have made a SLAYING this year doing this very thing.

10. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

In my opinion it depends on who & how you target your market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by