Is it worth it?

Quote:
I wonder what Walmart that would be? I've never seen chickens at Walmart, if I did I'd be in SOOOOO much trouble, i go there all the time.
lol.png

**Forgot to mention my opinion. It's worth it if you want to do it. If you're only in it for the profit, it most likely won't add up. But if you're in it to have fun raising fat happy chickies to give to good homes, then it will be great.

I think jjparke thought OP was talking about chickens to eat.
idunno.gif
instead of laying chickens.
Forgot to add that I would be in trouble too if they sold chicks at Wal Mart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd clarify a little bit. I wanted 6-12 chickens for myself. i bought one shipment of 25 for about 73 bucks. We had everything we needed short of waterers and feeders and food. A big ol 30 buck investment. I bought a second batch a month later and already had everything I needed, short of food obviously.

A large bag of food lasts me about 2-3 weeks and runs about 11 bucks. So far i've spent probably about 44 dollars on food.

44+ 40 + 73(x2)= 230

I ended up with packing peanuts which means in total I had about 55 birds ( plus 2 ducks we bought as pets, I am including the food they eat as well, even though i'll make no money on them- they eat as much as the chickens almost...) I've sold all but 10 birds for 10 dollars.

44x10- 440.

110 dollar profit over all my costs.

its not a huge profit margin, but I bought some roo's this year and some paritcularly broody breeds and I will hatch out chicks next season to sell as laying pullets and freezer birds next spring for 10-15 bucks a bird.

I free range my chickens on various grasses and weeds, and give them scraps. So my feed bill is lower now that theyre getting older. I'll sell hatching eggs and eating eggs.

In my case i was able to make a 110 dollar profit on a venture initially started to help my family save money.

i'd say thats pretty fair- especially since its enjoyable.

Next year i'll not have the cost of shipping birds. just feed and probably building another coop with materials we already have almost enough of.

Quote:
Quote:
hmm.png

110 in our pockets is a slaying... lol. Compared to no dollars in our pockets.

Probably not a slaying in the usual sense of the word. but at least I made a profit on an unintended business venture!

Quote:
heh, yeah I was just funnin' with ya.
big_smile.png

i figured
tongue.png

Money is money though, these days. I'd say its worth it, since Iam home anyway and was going to raise my own chickens anyhow. if its something you enjoy then its not work, so why not make money off it?

Thats why I think its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom