is it worth it?

Quote:
I have to agree. It seems that every post you have made has either been to flaunt, brag, or tell folks they arent doing it right, yet no website, no pictures, etc, we're just having to take your word for all this. You seem well educated on turkeys, but try to word yourself a little more dignified and helpful as opposed to just bragging and calling yourself, more less the TURKEY GOD.
I mean, I'm pretty darn experience myself in turkeys, and honestly am near sold out for the season on most of my breeds already, but that really has no bearing.
No disrespect meant by this TOM!!!!, just trying to point out how some of your stuff is coming off, many on here will shut you down with too much of it. Great helpful input is always welcome though
wink.png

Also been wondering what happened to Steve, see his wife is still on under the same user name though???

sorry guys ,I'am pretty rough around the edges ,things are a liitle different for me! I 'am a turkey farmer I sell and hatch heritage turkeys, its not a hobby, I buy ,sell,trade eat drink and live turkey! I come here invited by back yard chickens, most the stuff I read here about turkeys are opinions not facts, I deal with facts, my bad, this really isn't the place for a turkey farmer! tom!!! ps sorry agian guys my wife say I 'am a little mean spirited

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW I would have to rotate blood but I don't plan to become a commercial turkey farmer I just want a few to have around and know I would have to get "fresh blood" every couple years I'm not an idiot. I was just currious on the cost of eggs to hatch (local no shipping) vs live poults from the feed store.

I'm not going to breed for show. Not going to sell hatching eggs. Not going commercial. Just a family thing raising 2-3 for meat per year max.
thanks to all.

Quote:
I still use 2 of the styrofoam incubators and get around 90 percent when hatching my own eggs but the few times I have ordered eggs all my hatches were zilch with the lone exception of getting 2 eggs of of 6 to hatch last year that were shipped to me by Steve and Sharon. I still am not comfortable with buying eggs that are shipped but if I decide to try shipped eggs again they will be ordered from Steve and Sharon.

Mean spirited is all your wife has to say about you Tom? Mine gets a whole lot more colorful when describing my behavior at times.
big_smile.png

In all honesty... and this is just my opinion... unless you are experienced in hatching eggs... say you have a 50% hatch rate. In that case, each poult will have cost you $8. What if you have less than 50%? The price goes up per poult in that case, up to if none hatch you are out however much the eggs cost and the time that you put into them. I would suggest to start out with the poults, then when they grow up you can pick a few to keep and try hatching your own eggs in the 'bator or under the mother. Just my thoughts...

turkey guru... I am really curious here. You say that you had leg problems with the styrofoam incubators, but not with your larger incubator. With the larger unit, how are the eggs placed? Are they on end or laying down? The reason that I ask is because I have heard that turkeys are more prone to legs problems if the eggs are incubated standing on end. What are your thoughts on this?

Stryofoam incubators is a very vague selection.
I personally use 6 Hovabators, I dont care what you put in them, I think they can even fertilize one if needed, all hatch very well in them. I also use a few large sportsman cbinet incubators too, same results.
Now I tried the Little Giants, 25% on anything was they best it ever did, heard several folks say that about them too, Trashed it.
But the hova's are great!
Also have less leg problems in the hovas because I dont use turners and they have that hardware cloth mesh to stand on when they hatch. They are laid on their side, though I think it's more of what the bottom is made of that helps, slick hatcher euals spradled legs over night.
I use towels or anything with grip in the hatcher tray of the sportsmans and completely stopped leg problems . That being done, genetics should be the only cause..

I've never had leg problems with my turkeys, although I have had a the occasional one with my chickens. Every time it has had to do with malformation of the hips, so I think it's probably more of a genetic issue than an incubation one.

I take my eggs out 3 days before hatch and put them on the wire, which I agree is much better for them than a slick bottom. I have accidentally left chicken eggs in the turner, or have had the rare early hatcher, but that hasn't seemed to make any difference as long as I get the eggs out the turner and onto the wire.

Back
Top Bottom