Is it worth saving?

ACGM

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Last night I posted because one of me eggs seemed to have stalled breaking out of its shell. I had five other eggs trying to hatch and had already pipped and was wondering if I should try to save it. After my own mental battle and listening to sound advice, I made the decision to wait until morning to see if it would make it through. It didn’t make any progress last night and the membrane around the zip is completely dried out. My question is, is it for sure dead at this point or could it potentially still be alive? I noticed there was no progress being made from 2pm-8pm before I posted, if length of time is a factor. I still have three other eggs still trying to hatch. I know my humidity it good from my gauge and another chick that is zipping now is moist. I’m not quite sure what happened with this one. I would post a picture but the other chicks get in the way and I can’t get a good view for very long.

Edit: More information if the chick can be saved. I will have to get at least six of the chicks out of their no matter if the others hatch I think. They have been hatched for 48hrs and I can tell they are getting hungry because they are pecking everything.

I'd remove the chicks and egg in question. You should be able to tell right away if it's dead or just needs help. Post back with your findings and you can be walked through an assisted hatch.

Probably dumb question but how will I tell if it’s alive or dead? This is my first hatch so I don’t know that it would be that obvious without me opening it.

Probably dumb question but how will I tell if it’s alive or dead? This is my first hatch so I don’t know that it would be that obvious without me opening it.

The chick will be chirping and moving/breathing. It should respond to stimulation with chirps or wiggles. By stimulation I mean moving the egg or gently tapping.

It will be obvious if it is alive. There will be movement. You will likely see the beak move if you open the membrane around that area (usually the fiat spot there is a pip). You can always tap the shell with a fingernail or even gently tap the chick, even a resting chick will usually move a little in response to stimulation.

Please remember that if he didn’t make it, it is not your fault. I went through the same mental struggle with my first hatch, I put a time limit on it before intervening and the chick had passed. Remember, in nature, a chick is meant to be able to hatch on its own, if it cannot, there is often an underlying reason for it. Good luck.

Please remember that if he didn’t make it, it is not your fault. I went through the same mental struggle with my first hatch, I put a time limit on it before intervening and the chick had passed. Remember, in nature, a chick is meant to be able to hatch on its own, if it cannot, there is often an underlying reason for it. Good luck.

I know, just sad. I think I had another one die to now. I’m going to take hatched chicks out now and see if I lost the two in the eggs.

hatching is hard work, I've now assisted quite a few, you will get to know when you need to intervene or not, sometimes they just give up, I had one in good position was ready to hatch veins had receded and everything was absorbed but didn't even internally pip. 2 in same hatch had externally pipped but you if your listening you can hear when they start to tire if they have internally pipped, I will minimally assist making sure they can open their beak and nostrils aren't covered so they can get enough air and moisten the membrane and put back in incubator, I check hourly and add a small container if there is room of water for added humidity. especially if they haven't finished vein s receding you don't want to help a whole lot other than keeping it moistened, have heard of some people using like Vaseline to help keep that membrane from drying out

Back
Top Bottom