Is it worth the work to butcher your own chickens?

Quote:
bravo Will-If I could find a processor for 2$ a chicken Id be al over that-Im just willing to drive 3-4 hours to them:-( An hour or two maybe but we'll see there's a fellow by the name of Gavin who lives in Westport-has a farm and he and his buddy are buying all teh equipment to do that sort of thing-I'd drive to him-1 1/2 hours away:) He has a farm with his dad out there-for beef and pork so Id spend the day admiring a farm:)

I would say its definitely worth it. My husband and I have butchered 6 in the last year and there are 4 living in the rooster coop right now that are headed for freezer camp in the next week or so. I couldn't believe how much more flavor home grown chicken has than store bought.! My husband does the killing because he is simply more efficient at it than I think I would be. He uses a VERY sharp butcher knife and does the deed quickly. I do hold the bird in the killing cone for him to make sure the killing cut is accurate and easy for him. The first two we ever butchered we made the mistake of not using one, not realizing how much the bird flops about - won't do that again!

We skin our birds instead of plucking them. I always bought skinless chicken at the store anyway before I raised my own, since none of us like the skin. I can't see the point of plucking them unless you just like the skin for some reason.

I like knowing that the chicken I am eating had the best chicken life that I could give it and knowing exactly what went into growing it.

Last edited:
I "helped" my Dad remember how to butcher a week or so ago. He killed and plucked most of the feathers and gutted and I watched and helped pick pin feathers. It was hard and yet easier than I thought. Have yet to be brave enough to cook them but the actual deed is done.

We are looking into taking them somewhere to see if it would be worth it. From my first inquiries it will not be worth the $ to take them somewhere to butcher.

As far as is it worth it to feed/raise the chickens to be meat- My purpose for the birds are- eggs (and they will be more expensive than store bought), and pet/looks and then the meat. The birds are also teaching my children and myself the value of pets and the life cycle. So far they have been a LOT of work and yet I am enjoying them, the kids and are enjoying them and I think even DH is enjoying them. I know that per pound they will be more $ than going to the store and just getting the meat but I am ok with that because I like the fact that if they are roosters they will still have a purpose and if they get too old they will still serve a purpose.

It all depends on what you want. If you want meat you know has been treated humanely, and fed stuff you know about, (and tastes better) then raise it yourself.
smile.png
If you can't butcher it, find someone who will. Or someone who will help you and do the killing the first few times to help you out. I had a friend help me the first few times with the killing, now I do it myself. I slit the throat and immediately break the neck, not my favorite job, but quick and sure. I use a killing cone (an old road cone with the top cut off).

Broilers that I do in large batches, I hire an area guy who has a trailer and comes to the farm to butcher them. They go in the freezer. Old hens are a pain to pluck (and the butcher charges more because of that), so I skin them. I'll only do 6-8 at a time, as I can them. The easiest way is to use an air compressor - no kidding!!!
big_smile.png
Get a long nozzle with a thumb lever ( I think mine was about $12 at the hardware), put the long part in the loose skin where you slit the throat and use a ring made from your index finger and thumb on the other hand to circle the neck tightly to hold the air in. Push the lever and wait until the bird looks to be about the size of a basketball with feathers -- if a medium bird, or beach ball size for larger birds. As soon as you've done one or two you'll know what size you need. You'll hear all the connections popping as the air goes in. This will loosen the skin on all but the last joint of the wings, which I just cut off, as there's not much there. I part out the bird, putting one leg, one thigh and half a breast in a wide mouth quart canning jar with a slice or two of onion. Pressure canned, even an old hen becomes tender, and the bones slip right out in seconds when you open the jars up for dinner. Boning when the bird is raw is too much work! This meat is great for chicken and dumplings, chicken and noodles...
droolin.gif

The necks, backs, wings and giblets other than the liver, all go in my huge stock pots with leeks, onion, garlic, and fresh herbs. I let them simmer for the day. I strain it and can most of it as plain broth to use as the base for vegetable soups. I debone the meat, and in some jars I put an inch or so of chopped up meat, then chopped celery, carrots, and onion and the broth. On a busy day, open the jar, add noodles, and you'll have the best chicken noodle soup you've ever had!
wee.gif
The liver goes in packages in the freezer for pate' for the holidays.

There's not much waste after this. We bury the guts and feathers deep in the compost pile, and in a year or two they go out on the garden. The simmered bones can be buried in the compost heap also, it's amazing how well they break down. You should be able to recycle all of the bird back into the land that helped to grow it. To me anyway, that's the best way to honor the bird's life. But as I said, it's all in what you want. If you've ever been in one of the plants where they grow that store chicken however, (I have
sickbyc.gif
) you'll probably never eat a store bird again.

droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
Ooooh Shaun, all that sounds so delicious & delectable! Canning is the next thing I want to learn, and you've got some fantastic practices & procedures for doing so. Right now I butcher my extra cockerels, usually pluck them, simmer the dark & light meat in separate parts, debone and freeze the meat in packets for later use. There isn't the room in my refrigerator's freezer compartment for lots of frozen whole birds.

I want to learn to can, both the meat & the broth. Your idea for the soup fixin's sounds wonderful too. This would save room in my freezer and also prevent that meat from spoiling if/when we get a hurricane that knocks out our power for a week or more.

Your skinning procedure sounds great too, wish I had an air compressor to try it. I've tried skinning the birds but find it takes me as much time & effort as hand-plucking. I don't have the arm strength needed to get the skin off the wings or ends of the legs very easily.

I'm sure after enjoying a bowl of your home-grown chicken noodle soup or chicken & dumplings no one questions if it is worth the work to butcher your own chickens!

Quote:
could you post and let us know how well this technique worked?

Don't forget you could always make stock with the stuff left after taking off the breast meat, thighs, legs. What about the WINGS? My son would mutiny if we didn't save those.
lol.png

I have been behind on daylight and done this. No need to gut, and after a couple hundred birds a year I don't need stock. Do keep the wings. There is some waste, but on a 6-7 lb bird you do well. Interesting idea in this post with the air compressor, will try that.
Dennis

Last edited:
I am glad someone has done it....after the processing the other day can't get my stepson to process the other four. My husband is working out of state for about six more weeks....so am trying to rehome the rest of the roosters....four more.

He was excited however at the thought of sliting down the middle and taking skin and feathers off like a jacket.

As it was I made chicken and dumplings and he was not sure he was going to be able to eat it until I started on the dumplings....he had no problem then, it was great!

It's worth it to me to be able to raise my own meat humanely, healthfully, and with compassion.

I also very much enjoy the meat that dual purpose and older chickens give you. They are so rich and flavorful and if cooked right, even a tough old rooster can be made tender.

Chickens bring a great amount of joy to my life, so a little extra work does not dampen that.

Back
Top Bottom