Is keeping 2 chickens in a 63 x 26" coop for life cruel?

If I get that coop, how much more space would I have to add to it if I want their home to be not cruel?
You need at least 4 sq ft coop space per bird and at least 10 sq ft run space so at least double that coop. Would probably be easier to just build one. Or else somehow rig two of them together.

If I get that coop, how much more space would I have to add to it if I want their home to be not cruel?
At least 2-3x more space. If you're keeping chickens in total confinement (like I do), I feel you have a moral obligation to provide enrichment. I learned very quickly that enrichment takes space (lots of perches, bins to dig in, plants to peck at, etc.). Also keep in mind that the smaller the space, the more you'll have to clean. I have 4 chickens in a 9'x12' run, and I'm in there cleaning at least twice a day.

Chickens are very curious, active, and easily bored. With that in mind, I try to approach questions like this with "Would I want to live in there?"

Best of luck!

I am exceptionally suspicious of clearly photoshopped pictures.

What are the odds that these chickens are in the exact same position from one picture to the next? Why do these chickens float on the grass rather than their feet sinking into the grass?

Why can the seller not include a real picture? (The answer I come up with makes me hesitant to buy anything with a photoshopped picture.)

81nX4prhgJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81B-p8OMchL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom