Is Lacey a Cuckoo Maran???!!!

Peepsicle

Songster
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Cali
I have a pullet that I was sure was a Barred Rock, the feed store I got her from even said she was, and a cockerel that a different feed store said was a Barred Rock, but a friend of mine that knows a lot about chickens said that Lady Lacey, the "BR pullet" was a Cuckoo Maran pullet, and that Speckles, the BR cockerel was a BR pullet!! Not that I would mind, b/c I love Speck and I will have to give him away due to law if he is a male and he starts crowing, but I like to know the breeds and genders of my chickens!! Here they are:

Speckles

Speck's tail feathers

Lacey

Lacey and Speckles (this is my avatar pic!!)

Speck and Lacey

Speck and Lacey

Speck and Lacey

Speck and Lacey

Lacey

Speck

Speck and Lacey

Speck and Lacey

Speck

Speck (RIR pullet Peep in the backround)

Speck

Lacey

Speck

Lacey

Speck

Speck

Speck

Please tell me what you think!!

Thanks!!!
Peepsicle

my guess is both BR. marans, from the photos I've seen, seem to have a slightly different shaped eye, hard to tell from your pics, you may have to wait to see if you get a dark maran egg, or a cream br egg...
also from the photos I've seen... BR cockerels are more white and black, whereas the pullet is more black and white. know what I mean? if I were to guess, I would say he's a he... nice thick legs in comparison in a few of the pictures... I'm so far from experienced... I probably shouldn't even venture a guess, but eh... why not..?
nice lookin' birds tho'

Yup, both are BRs. Cute chicks!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you, ALL of you, for your comments & compliments!!!!!
big_smile.png
D.gif
big_smile.png

P.S. So you think Speck is a BR cockerel and Lacey is a BR pullet, right?? YEAH & SHOOT, b/c this means Lacey is a BR hen, and that's what I've always wanted, but Speckles is a BR cockerel, which means I have to give him away. Oh well.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thanks!!!
(any more comments still welcome, you can't ever be to sure!!!)

Last edited:
They aren't Cuckoo Marans (the "s") is always there, even when speaking of single bird.

Marans have white skin and white legs, so no, they aren't Marans, but they are hatchery grade Barred Rocks. Some features remind me of a very similar breed, the Dominiques. But since the BR and Doms have been crissed crossed so much by the hatcheries, this wouldn't be unusual.

In both the Dominiques and Barred Rocks, the male looks silvery or lighter colored while the female has a darker overall appearance. Enjoy them. They should make some cute chicks together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom