Is lantana poisonous to chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasChicken12, Nov 17, 2014.

1. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    I know lantana is poisonous to people. My mom has an enormous lantana and we let our 9 pullets free-range. Do I have any thing to worry about? Any help is very much appreciated!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    What type of lantana? There are several cultivars, many infertile, and lantana of some type/s is used for tea and can be eaten by livestock, whereas other lantanas are toxic.

Chances are they won't eat enough to get sick never mind die, it's not very palatable to them. Mine never ate it. If you watch them and they're scoffing the leaves, it could be a problem, but if they're uninterested... Probably no worries.

Best wishes.

3. LutzFLdawg

LutzFLdawg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Florida
    Mine don't touch our lantana. I don't think they leaves are tasty to them, or maybe it's the slight sandpaper texture they don't like. I don't know what specific cultivar of lantana it is, we bought it at Lowes. The flowers are yellowish orange.

Plumbago, on the other hand, they stripped it to the ground.

4. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    I have no idea what cultivar ours is. It has yellow and orange flowers and purple berries. Thanks for all your help!

5. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    If you bought it, chances are it's not fertile though seed, or at least it's supposed to be infertile. You've got the ornamental sort. It does make huge bushes so it's still a pest species, though.

It is toxic, to some degree, but mainly you only hear about it killing cattle that have been taken from a paddock with no lantana, usually around drought, then put into a paddock with lantana. Animals can kill themselves on even harmless or mildly harmful things if they have no experience with them then are allowed free rein to experiment; also, drought condenses and intensifies volatile oils and chemical compounds in many plants, making them far stronger. Herbs given regular water are often less medicinally valuable for this very reason.

The fertile one around here is creeping lantana, has pink flowers, but from what I've seen the 'infertile lantana' is at least partially fertile or able to produce clones. There's hundreds of cultivars though.

6. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this is an old thread. Came across it while googling "is lantana poisonous to chickens". I'm checking because as we live in South Mississippi, and it is EVERYWHERE! I remember as a kid, we called it ham and eggs plant. No idea why. Anyway, my chickens will jump up to grab the ripe berries off the plant. So, was a bit concerned. We have jokingly called it chicken crack. Along with many sites claiming it is poisonous - although it's not clear if it is mildly toxic or to what degree of toxicity it may be - I found a site that has piqued my interest.

http://www.stuartxchange.org/Lantana.html

Very interesting. Keep in mind, I realize many things can be toxic if enough is ingested. That being said, it is more easily spread when passed through the GI tract of a bird. So, it must be relatively low toxicity if birds are eating it and that is a more easily germinated seed? Not that I'm going to feed it to my chickens, but maybe it's not TOO bad if they grab a bite here and there? I really hate to take it all down as they like to get under it for shade and scratch around and dust bathe under it. And it does work for mosquito bites, FYI. Anyway, food for thought, so to speak and curious about any feedback.

7. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I have 3 different large lantanas. My chicks have been around them for 2 months, and i haven't had any issues. I haven't seen them trying to eat them either though, they just lay under them.

8. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize they were doing that until recently. One jumped up and I started watching to see if it was a bug on there or what. Nope. The seeds. They don't seem to be any worse for it, but if there is an underlying cumulative effect, I'd certainly like to know and stop it. But man, they really need the shade right now! But the one site I found was very interesting and intriguing. Looking for more input from chicken people.

9. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Haven't seen mine give undue attention to the berries, but some people eat the berries regularly without problems associated. As far as I know, there are some toxins we don't process so well that don't bother most birds, and vice versa, and lantana berries seem to be one. If they're fully ripe, I would assume your chickens will most likely be safe.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by