Is Layer Ok for 1 week old chicks???

chickenscratch

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
I have 10 new chicks that are 5 days old. I have starter feed for them but they also have access to the layer feed of other hens. They seem to eat both. Should I really try to make it so they can't eat the layer and only have access to the stater?

Thanks

Can't you put the layer up higher so they can't reach it? Our hens' feed is at back-level, like 8" above the ground. They can reach it fine but chicks would have a hard time...

If your hens and chicks are mixed into the coop you need to have them all on one feed and that would be the chick starter/grower or a flock raiser feed, with oyster shell dish for the hens if needed...chicks do not do well on a layer feed for their growing bodies...

You need to put the layer where they can't get to it. The layer has to much calcium that will hurt the chicks. If you can't do anything else you could buy starter/grower and give it to both of them and let the hens get there calcium from crushed egg shells or oyster shells. Just make sure the chicks can't get to that either. Make sure you don't have grit for the hens where they can get to it to.

Good luck
smile.png

Put the layer feed on a rope - hang it from the ceiling. Then adjust it so only the hens can get at it. This also keeps the chickens from soiling it.

You can also make a creep feeder.
Put up a piece of welded wire fence or something that only the chicks can get through and put their feed behind it. Raise the layer feed too high for the chicks.

Or get some all purpose (triple duty) like suggested above with a feeder of oystershell. This is what we do here because the drakes and gander and rooster don't need the calcium in the feed.

Thanks
smile.png

I am lucky because my feed store gets in all purpose pellets. My ducks run screaming intot he night at the sight of crumbles. Just not worht their time. Like getting a meal out of sunflower seed int he shell.

Back
Top Bottom