Is Layer Ok for 1 week old chicks???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenscratch, May 22, 2008.

1. chickenscratch

chickenscratch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2007
    I have 10 new chicks that are 5 days old. I have starter feed for them but they also have access to the layer feed of other hens. They seem to eat both. Should I really try to make it so they can't eat the layer and only have access to the stater?

Thanks

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Can't you put the layer up higher so they can't reach it? Our hens' feed is at back-level, like 8" above the ground. They can reach it fine but chicks would have a hard time...

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If your hens and chicks are mixed into the coop you need to have them all on one feed and that would be the chick starter/grower or a flock raiser feed, with oyster shell dish for the hens if needed...chicks do not do well on a layer feed for their growing bodies...

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    You need to put the layer where they can't get to it. The layer has to much calcium that will hurt the chicks. If you can't do anything else you could buy starter/grower and give it to both of them and let the hens get there calcium from crushed egg shells or oyster shells. Just make sure the chicks can't get to that either. Make sure you don't have grit for the hens where they can get to it to.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Put the layer feed on a rope - hang it from the ceiling. Then adjust it so only the hens can get at it. This also keeps the chickens from soiling it.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can also make a creep feeder.
    Put up a piece of welded wire fence or something that only the chicks can get through and put their feed behind it. Raise the layer feed too high for the chicks.

Or get some all purpose (triple duty) like suggested above with a feeder of oystershell. This is what we do here because the drakes and gander and rooster don't need the calcium in the feed.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I like the idea of the all-purpose feed with oystershell fed aside. Keeps thing simple.
    Good on ya, TL.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Thanks [​IMG]
    I am lucky because my feed store gets in all purpose pellets. My ducks run screaming intot he night at the sight of crumbles. Just not worht their time. Like getting a meal out of sunflower seed int he shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by