Is lockdown, day 18 or day 19???????????? and what I saw candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wannabchick, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    thank you all,

I tried candling my eggs. LMAO, you should have seen me.. in the bathroom trying to hold this maglite all panicked I am going to drop the egg, then I see something~ Movement, I saw movement in 3/10 eggs.. the other eggs were black looking solid with maybe some clear area in just about 1/10th of it.. so I couldnt see anything. Is that normal, on 6 more days left~ and not seeing any movement?

Then another egg litteraly no joke if you held the egg up and looked at it... think of those drawings when a child draws an oval and then takes black and colors around the top of the oval ( egg)and sides black like their coloring in hair. The black just swooped around it, is that the chicken?? LOL/no movement though

I have looked at lots of candling photos, and maybe my maglite isnt strong enough??????????? maybe that is the issue

My Brisnea says- 6 more days. I want to make sure I lock down on the right day, so if I had set it at 21 days. Then do I lock it down, ( take all eggs out remove tray add paper towels, On Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.. LMAO

Another words when it says 2 more days left or 3 More days left?

I am sooooooooo eggcited!!! my kids are so eggcited- my 12 year old when he saw the movement in the egg.. jumped as if it freaked him out. Hey he's a 12 year old boy. LMAO/ I said.. what you think its going to jump out the egg onto you!!!! hehehehhehe

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

This
    thread will show you step by step what the eggs look like candled each day [​IMG] There are even videos of movement within the egg. I think the dark eggs, with only 6 more days to go, are right on track. By day 14, Silkiechicken could not see through my eggs at all.

And I can relate to the candling experience...I'm terrified I will drop one or squeeze it too hard! I lock down on day 17 for my Seramas and 18 for everything else. I start counting the day I put the eggs in the incubator, if this helps. I do all of it manually so I can't help you with what your incubator is telling you....

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Lockdown is day 18, so there are three full days with raised humidity: days 19, 20, 21.

4. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    aweeeeeeeeeeeee... thanks everyone.. cause I do have.. silkies, sermomas and fizzle coochins in there.. MMNNNNNNN... so lets see some of you.. start lock down 17.. ayayaaaaaaaaaa.. I am getting so excited..
    thanks all

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I only start lock down on day 17 for my seramas because they notoriously hatch early so I like to give them the extra day. However, when I hatched a mixture like yours last January, I let them go till day 18. They did hatch a day early - day 20 instead of 21 - but were fine.

6. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    thanks so much.. zoo mommy.. I am sad.. cause I do beleive my silkie are the eggs that are not looking right candled.. boo hoo...
    thank you so much though

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] I know how you feel. I have 5 duds out of 8 eggs I fear. Always disappointing. Good luck with the rest of them!

8. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Just got 6 bearded buff silkies from the auction.. sooooooooooooooooooooooooo crossing my fingers.. I will put those in next week.. and viola... get some silkies then..
    thanks again for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by