Is Mailing Distance Big Factor in Call Duck Hatching Success?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scifisarah, May 1, 2009.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I recently got my first hatching eggs through the mail - 8 call duck eggs - and was wondering if a long shipping distance will cause my hatch success to drop dramatically. So far, I've only considered buying eggs that are under 500 miles away, worried there will be too much stress on them otherwise.

Should I be worried about ordering eggs from California (over 1000 miles away) or have you found that they end up hatching just as well as eggs from a few hundred miles away?

As a side note, so far 4 of my 8 original call duck eggs are still going strong on day 10. These were shipped from about 300 miles away. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I'm not sure all te eggs I had shippied to me for this last batch were from out of state and most seem to be great! I think I have 40 out of 56 fertile right now...

3. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    I've found it really depends on the treatment of the box rather then the distance. Some of my best hatches were from way on the east coast while ones from my home state haven't been great. aprille218

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by