Is MIFChick a Roo?

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
I have 4 older EEs/Ameraucanas (breeder claims Ameraucanas
idunno.gif
) who are about 21 weeks old. No eggs yet. However, my one picked on bird, MIFChick, who has lost tail feathers due to picking (just her, no one else), is making odd "urrr-urrr-urrrrhh" noises that sounds suspiciously like the beginnings of a crow. She's paranoid around one of the other roos, but good with the calmer roo.

I'll show you the picts of MIFChick and some other of my EEs for comparison:

53034_mifchick_002.jpg

53034_mifchick_003.jpg

53034_mifchick_004.jpg

53034_mifchick_005.jpg

53034_mifchick_008.jpg

Is MIFChick a stealth roo? If so, that's fine. I'd rather keep MIFChick as a roo than the 2 RIR I have.

She looks like a pullet to me. But that sound you describe coming from her sounds like an unhappy chicken noise. I get that a lot when my chickens are irritated with something. But I can't be sure that you are hearing the same thing as what I hear. And I can't be sure she's not a roo, but for now, she looks like a girl to me.

She looks like an EE pullet. If she does end up being a roo- you have the right idea. Keep the NICE ones!

I have an EE that looks just like your buff with the "reverse colombian" pattern.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm wondering if she's getting close to laying, which might explain her noise. I've been keeping her with the chickens she likes. She and her buddies are all starting to show red in their combs and her comb has started growing. I think I should be seeing eggs any day now.
pop.gif

Thanks for the ID. They've only recently showed their combs, which is pretty cool, actually. I love the look of the EEs.

Quote:
May I ask a silly question? I don't know what a colombian or reverse colombian pattern is. Can you point it out to me? I think my chicks are lovely, though. I so enjoy seeing them.

Thanks for the ID!

Back
Top Bottom